Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using a Journal to Help Improve Writing Skills

Good writing skills are crucial in the school, the business world, and everyday life. I encourage my students to keep a journal to help improve their writing skills. I have them write in their journal 3-5 times a week. It is a great way to revisit your writing to see where your weaknesses or strengths are, get ideas for papers, or help see what is going on in your life. Also, anytime you are doing some form of consistent writing like this, it will help keep your writing skills sharp. Many people feel they cannot write at all, but they see they have some writing ability as they begin to write in their journal. It is also a therapeutic way to relieve daily stress.

Hi Melinda,

I love the journal! Do you make any corrections or comments in their journals?

That is a great idea to improve your writing skills. If you write in your journal and go back to it a week or so later you can look at what you wrote and see if it makes sense. You can also see if you can write it more effectively the second time around.

Using a Journal is a great idea! Not only to improve my writing skills; but also assist with goal sitting. Keeping a journal at work will make a outline of how to complete important assignments and the steps it took get there.

I love this idea!

It is amazing how much more I pay attention to my writing when I keep a journal. I use my journal to reflect on my writing skills. I think I will take it to the next level and do more topic-specific writing to improve my narrative prose. As my manager has said, the more you do it, the more it becomes a habit. If you are doing it right, then it is an effective habit that will result in good habits.

Sign In to comment