Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Savvy Negotiator

Though you may not negotiate a major business deal every day, what types of negotiation skills become important to leading employees and managing daily operations?

In a business it is a good idea to be prepare thoroughly in leading employees and management daily operations. It is important to develope a reputation for relibility and trustworthiness while recognizing relationship values between management and staff.Negotiator should be able to seperate personal issues from negotiating issues in the office and identify the interest of all parties developing value-creating options.
This will certainly create a better work place for management and employees.

Thakoor

You wrote: "It is important to develop a reputation for relibility and trustworthiness while recognizing relationship values"

Absolutely. There are too many books out there about negotiating or persuasion skills that overlook the power of establishing trust & confidence within your employees or followers.
Ryan

Indeed, management and employees can have a much better relationship and make correct decision when the deal is predicated on accurate and truthful representation of the situation. This can result ia a win-win situation for everyone. In most cases in an intregative negotation it benefits the company or organization where integrity on both sides is emphasized.

Great observation. I often wonder if we shouldn't get rid of the word "negotiation" as it has developed a seemingly adversarial context. For some just the word "negotiate" puts them in an "us vs. them" mentality. You are right on with emphasizing a win-win.
Ryan

Well, yes we can get rid of the word "negotiation" and probably say "confer" or "discuss" with others, but they don't seem to convay the message of deal making or the serious nature of bargaining.For example,if there is a suspicion of bluffing, how do one party insist on enforcement mechanism without a clear idea that a serious 'negotiation' is on going.
Thakoor

I would agree that we would not actually get rid of the term "negotiation" as it does convey the necessary ideas. I would only encourage all leaders to approach negotiations from a cooperative standpoint rather than adversarial. Granted that some negotiations will become adversarial despite our attempts to prevent, but I believe that some of these situations become adversarial when they do not need to be. As you pointed out above, it really is about the level of trust & credibility between the two parties. Thanks for your thoughts.
Ryan

I see your point and I am in total agreement. If only all leaders can be more aware of their approach and the effect it has on others, then maybe there will be more desirable outcome, more often. There probable is too much self-intrest and not enough mutual-interest in most negotiation that tends to become adversarial.Here is my question! How should governments, with total self intrest, who hate and distrust each other, negotiate to resolve bitter conflict? I read daily in the news that negotions broke down while chaos continues and people suffer.
Thakoor

Wow, quite a question for a Friday afternoon! You may be interested in reading a book entitled Leadership Without Easy Answers by Ronald Heifetz. He is a professor in the Kennedy School of Government at Harvard. He speaks of issues relating to negotiation and leadership in general.
Ryan

Wanderful suggestion, thank you. I will definately check with the local library for that book and read it. That book sounds interesting to me. It will certainly improve my knowledge and
negotiation skills. I do have an interest in leadership.

Thanks again.
Thakoor

Communication is always the link that will be used to negotiate the issue/argument whether it is face-to-face, on the telephone or in writing. Remember, negotiation is not always between two people: it can involve several members from two parties.

Absolutely. And to me this is where that credibility & presence that you spoke of in an earlier post comes into play. Your position as a negotiator will be much strengthened when you are believed to be credible & trustworthy
Ryan

In managing daily operations, the key concept I try to keep in mind is aligning negotiating goals with organizational goals. Early in my experience in career college management one of my mentors articulated his philosophy as, "If it is in the best interest of the student, it is in the best interest of the school." I have yet to see evidence that this is not the best philosophy to employ in this venue.

By examining every challenge that arises from this philosophical perspective, I believe I have been able to ensure consistency in my decision making. At the same time if my coworkers understand that criteria as foundational, they have a basis for questioning and influencing my decision making process. When I am shown how my decisions/actions are contrary to our foundational philosophy, I am invariably motivated to reconsider the issues.

As far as negotiating skills that are important to leading employees, the list encompasses nearly all of those in the module. Of paramount importance I would suggest, are effective listening and casual conversation. By engaging in frequesnt casual conversation with coworkers some of the trepidation that accompanies "seeing the Boss" coming in their direction is circumvented. Casual conversation also often provides a great segue to coaching conversations. Effective listening is imperative in all human interaction.

However, even the most brilliant application of other negotiating skills is rendered moot if a leader performs in a manner that jeopardizes the trust of his/her coworkers. This is a must in order to effectively lead your coworkers. Without trust you are reduced to using techniques of command and control management such as directives and intimidation and you risk abdicating your role of leader.

The old saying “If you want something done right, do it yourself,” does not apply to management. The very nature of management is getting things done through others. Business requires managers to lead teams toward accomplishing goals and ensuring profits, with everyday negotiations of time management, delegation, communication and emotional intelligence.

Managers must establish a working environment that allows employees to accomplish their tasks to their greatest capacity and inspires them to be their best. A manager’s job is to ensure employees have the resources and training to do their jobs effectively. This means managers must work with people. Technical skill is not enough. A good manager must have people skills plus be able to plan, organize, lead, inspire, and everything else needed to accomplish goals and produce results by the team or employees. The manager is responsible for the work of others. Therefore, the heart of management is getting things done through others.

I agree completely, unfortunately because my manager's yes's mean no and no means yes, I do not trust him especially when he says he will do something and doesn't. I am not sure if he suffers from executive dysfunction, but I know for sure he suffers from something.

Excellent observations Richard. To me, the underlying theme I hear in all three sections of your response is the crucial need for trust. Without the trust of others, we really are dead in the water.
Ryan

You are absolutely right. Unfortunately what I see all too often are managers who have failed to promote themselves. What I mean is that they are still relying on their abilities to accomplish the work themselves since that is often what made them successful in previous roles. As you said, good managers understand the need to get work done through others.
Ryan

Unfortunately we often learn more from poor leaders or managers than we do the good ones. Hopefully you have seen the importance of credibility & trustworthiness in your dealings with others.
Ryan

In the daily management of my employees, it is critical to use negotiation skills. Active listening is a crucial piece to this puzzle. Most of the situations I encounter call for Integrative negotiating. In order to arrive at a "win-win" outcome, relationship development and listening play a key role.

Absolutely, What are your feelings in managers negotiating with manager? There is always ego's and pride involved.

Sign In to comment