Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Communicating With Email

Since email is such an essential form of communication in business, why is it often used incorrectly?

Really good point, Cindy. I believe most people have a hard time condensing their thoughts into clear, concise points. It is too tempting to provide reasons why each point is important to the writer.

Maybe if we learn to start with who, what, when, and where, the why will be obvious. I think most people forget that we have a core mission which is pretty much the core 'why' that will keep us on track.

The situation allows employees the opportunity to feel comfortable in a workplace setting. Also, this present a poor professional image that needs to be implied and addresed in training. Some individuals take the notion to think that the workplace email is a personal email account to say or do anything.

I agree completely. They may as well be playing Solitaire.

I agree as well

I have found that often people are reactive in responding to emails. Before technology enabling email to be at everyone's fingertips existed, it seems as though people processed information more rather than simply replying right away with feedback. I have found that it is especially important to read through all of my emails before responding to anyone in particular. This gives me time to process all of the information in my inbox rather than being reactive to the information either good or bad.

I agree totally with both points.
It is professional and wise to be reflective.
Instantaneous technology is not conducive to that so if we are going to be reflective than it will only be a result of personal discipline.
Thanks for the reminder, Jennifer.

I agree. We should take time to process the information that is given and reply after we have gathered our thoughts and have informed information. I believe that too many reply with emotion.

E-mail is often used with out the proper process of information and used with emotion instead of a processed answer.

It seems that we tend to automatically respond, request, and communicate via email. I do think there are times, when a phone call is much more appropriate (especially when considering the tone and possible misinterpretation from our receiver). Though you may not have 'record' of the communication, I have found that the response time can be much greater with a phone call as opposed to email.

I think that it depends on the relative status, and the communication styles, of the people involved. Many managers in companies I have worked for expected a prompt reply to emails if they knew you were near your computer.

I find the comment that started this thread to be ignoring an important part of the issue, which is that people use email in the way that they think is correct. Only cartoon villians and people with odd senses of humor set out to do it in the wrong way just to annoy others.

I think the comment about addressing the issue in training was on the right track since it explictly states what the company or group sees as the correct or best way and new members can use that template until they do it naturally.

Sign In to comment