Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It’s All About Relationship!

Bottom line, how do you maintain a positive negotiating relationship with others?

Learn to negotiate between getting along with people and getting what you want, even though this is not easy to achieve.

Good observation. I would also refer back to your comments under building credibility. The steps you mentioned there will go along way towards building those positive working relationships.
Ryan

I think you have to maintain a professional demeanur throughout the negotiation. You have to remember that there is a mutually beneficial position where both parties will win-win, and this is not a personal matter.

Emotional outbursts are sometimes used to throw you off track, it's just a ploy.

Great comments. I also think it is important, as mentioned in the coursework, when the emotions are rising to take a step back & even break for a few moments. This should help maintain the focus on the positive.
Ryan

Credibility as mentioned in the other forum is important but reinforcing that you understand their viewpoint is also important. Though you may differ in several points in the negotiation, it important to stress the common ground and the positive steps taken in the negotiation.

Absolutely. And I've generally discovered that this is best accomplished through effective listening.
Ryan

Maintain a positive negotiating relationship by being positive and not go into arguementative mode. Do your research and make a concerted effort to understand each side of the issue. You must know where they are coming from and what is important to them in order to be able to appeal to them.

In order to keep a negotiating relationship positive, we first must demonstrate that we are trustworthy by keeping promises, and backing up statements with proof. Remaining pleasant and professional, even in the toughest negotiations, will go a long way as well. Also, putting yourself in the position of the other party can temper some hard line tendencies and provide openness to a mutually beneficial solution.

Great points. I heard an interesting statement today: Trying to be right is a learning disability.

I think that applies here in that if we seek to "be right" we are not as willing to listen to others & their views.

Ryan

If we are talking about long term relationships, then credibility, and the hope for a continued long term relationships is helpful. For example, I will be more than happy to negotiate with someone if I feel I can trust them, and there will be long term benefit for myself in the negotiation. The opposite is also true--I'm far less likely to give up any ground if I don't trust the person, or there is simply no gain in compromising.

Great points regarding building credibility & trust. I also think in the area of leadership that when we are dealing with employees or even other business partners we need to shift away from an "adversarial" mentality in negotiations. When we enter with this mindset we tend to think that someone has to "give" therefore someone is the loser & someone is the winner. I honestly believe that through effective dialogue we generally can come to a result that is beneficial for everyone. Now, when it comes to negotiating for a purchase, then that's often a different story.
Ryan

Completing the initial research of who will be negotiating. It is extremely important to get to know as much as possible about the other party. This will aid in the opening statments/ icebreaker before the negotiation.

Absolutely. Where are they coming from, what is their background, what is their history with my office or group? Positive, negative? All of these are great questions to be asking.
Ryan

I believe one of the best ways to maintain a positive negotiating relationship, is to remain professional at all times regardless on how frustrating negotiations can be. Stay focused on what is being said by the other negotiator and mirror his thoughts before responding. Keep the bluffs to a minimum and refrain from twisting the truth. Be prepared before the negotiations begin and now what your BATNA is, and if possible the other parties BATNA.

I think the best way to maintain a positive negotiating relationship is to remain professional at all times and to be sincere. Don't make any claims or promises that can't be followed through on.

Laura,
this is very true & vital in a good negotiating relationship.

Dr. Ryan Meers

as long as u keep a positive attitude you should be able to maintain a positive negotiating relationship. the moment things start to become negative take a moment away from the discussion and resume once things seem better.

keelan,
you are exactly right that the negative attitude will only help to lead the negotiations down a bad path.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Listen,Listen Listen. Try to understand the other party's point of view and what their BATNA might be. Stay interested in what they are asking.
Maintain a friendly demeanor.

Sign In to comment