Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The Skilled Persuader

How do you build your own credibility when interacting with others?

I will always be candid and truthful, only make promises and commitments I can fulfill and give serious consideration to the interest of others before a proposal. I will also have as much information about the proposal as possiable by doing my research , and to support my idea I will quote experts from reliable sources. Finally I will encourage dialogue where everyone ideas can be considered.

Thakoor

Thakoor,
Great ideas & should be very helpful in building credibility. Another thing that I have been impressed with lately is the vital need to build trust & how far this goes towards building credibility. People may not always agree with you, but when they know they can trust you (which you talk about) your credibility soars. Great thoughts,

Ryan

It takes time to build credibility with people. Don’t rush it .Work at having a presence not just on your own blog but in other relevant spaces to your niche (including other blogs through comments and guest posts, through social media sites etc)

Good comments & reminder about buildling credibility in the virtual world as well as the real world. What are some of the steps you would take to establish a presence to build that credibility?
Ryan

I truly believe that actions speak by themselves, when interacting with others always act in a professional manner, no matter their positions in your workplace. Be polite, truthful; try to be prepared to discuss different topics in a casual environment. When you manage a project keep it on time and on the budget. Finally try to be yourself and enjoy what you are doing. People notice and appreciate it.

I could not agree with you more. The authenticity & trust factor is a major component of building that credibility within your organization & in reality in all walks of life.

How do try to build credibility in situations where you do not have the time to lay this foundation of trust & authenticity? Is it possible? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.
Ryan

I listen a lot, I find that it makes people wonder what I am thinking. I sometimes answer a question, then pose one in return to keep the other party talking.

This allows me to learn more about what triggers this persons emotion, and it builds trust, since I don't dispute their feelings.

It is amazing how powerful a well placed and thought out question can be. I appreciate your comments about listening a lot as I have found that by careful listening I can ask much more effective questions. In this way, the other party knows I'm hearing them & not just trying to further my agenda. Great approach.
Ryan

I listen. I listen very closely, and watch body movements and expressions. When I speak, I use simple straight forward language, and I make it brief.

I subscribe to the old adage, "It's better to keep your mouth shut, and let people think you are stupid, then open it and remove all doubt."

I think these are some excellent strategies. It has been my observation that few of us listen appropriately. When we don't fully listen we miss the meaning of the other individual & then act or respond based on assumptions. This does not give us credibility but rather makes us look like we are only pushing our agenda.

In connection with your comment we become the "fool" or appear stupid. By the way, this is one of my mother's favorite quotes.
Ryan

I attended a training session before where it was suggested that your credibilty is increased by the way the people around you interact with you. If people in authority show you respect, others will respect you more readily.

I definitely agree with this idea. Often it is through the respect of those "significant others' that we ourselves can gain credibility.

What would you do if you were in a situation by yourself? How would you go about establishing your credibility?

Ryan

Establish friendly eye contact. Listen carefully. Exhibit openness with your body language. Always tell the truth.

Yes, it's amazing how our body language & eye contact can send a message of openness & trust or seem like we're trying to hide something.

This is a very difficult one for me. I do not fancy myself as a "skilled persuader". What sticks out in my mind the most right now is "credibility = trust + expertise". You have got to do your homework and know what you are talking about and you have got to have the reputation of someone they can trust. You also have to know who you are trying to convince and tailor your arguement to them.

Great observations, especially your point about having the reputation of someone they can trust. I think too often we view persuasion as something negative, but it really is a necessary part of our jobs as leaders.

Leadership researcher & author Jay Conger wrote a great article on this topic for Harvard Business Review called "The Necessary Art of Persuasion." If you have access to archived copies of HBR it might be worth a read. It is in the May-June 1998 edition.
Ryan

Building credibility is like building a relationship. It is not instantaneous. It takes time and will evolve with effort. I believe that the most important element to building my credibility with others is honesty. If someone senses or discovers you have n=been misleading or untruthful, all crdibility is blown.

Exactly right. It's definitely true that credibility can take a long time to build, but only an instant to destroy.
Ryan

I research the topic and make sure that I know what i am talking about. I only try to persuade when i truly believe.

Susan C

Sign In to comment