Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Leadership Communication

As a leader, what do you find is your greatest barrier to successful communication with your group?

Time is at the top of the list. Due to the fact that we have instructors on AM and PM schedules
it becomes difficult to accomplish things when
so little time exists between classes.Multiple
meetings could be scheduled, but, this isn't
always the answer either. Verble communication
between classes works fairly well as well as an
e mail requesting a direct response. It all comes back to cooperation on everyone's part.

My manager and I email each other several times per day and update each other verbally several times per day. Our problem is co-workers who do not stay current with their email and/or do not provide relevant detail when they do.

I think my biggest challenge in communicating is trying to figure out everyones learning style. In our business unit I deal with all types of personalities. What might have been effective on one does not always work on another. I guess the longer you work with someone the more you will learn on what is the most effective way of communication will be for that situation. The challenging part is getting to that level.

One of my greatest barriers is ensuring that I am consistant and effective in my communications with the faculty and staff as well as our students. Due to the nature of my role, it is important for my communications to be credible and that I response as soon as possible,whether in person or email.
One action that has helped me in this area is being out of my office. By being in the classroom, going on fieldtrips, attending student functions, etc., I have the opportunity to get to know our students, faculty and staff in a different light.

Since our organization has split lunch hours, as well as day and evening programs, it is a challenge getting information to everyone. We do rely on email as well as regular department head meetings and staff meetings. As we have many long time employees, our casual conversations when opportunities arise, are easy among us.

I find that I some times intimidate people without meaning to. this is particularly true when dealling with a new employee. I have to make a conscience effort to get to know them and not just assume they will react to me the way I expect.

Thats correct. It is good to communicate via email. If you are a part time instructor, more likely you have a full time job and that way you can email in between times and on your break with your other job.I am a more visual person, so I receive things better if I see them written.

You are right. It is hard when there are so many learning styles. It kind of go hand in hand with communication. Some people could communicate just as well with verbal communication on the other hand some would rather communicate via email. That way you don't have to worry about writing it down. Just print it out.

When you speak of intimidating other people, are you speaking of your co-workers, or is it people under your supervision? I usually have that problem with intimidating people with my serious look on my face. I look serious all the time and it can be very intimidating to people if they don't know you.

Let's see, the overall topic is Leadership Communication.
And we have learned that, what, 70% of communication is non-verbal.
So if I am aware that "I look serious all the time and it can be very intimidating to people", what am I knowingly communicating 70% of the time? What then is the leadership style I have chosen to communicate?
Is it working?

From only seeing your post, it could be determined that you are communicating seriousness or intensity. Unfortunately those words could also indicate unapproachable, stern, grave, grim and humorless. Likewise they could indicate reliability, crucial, vital and fundamental. You may want to ask what others see when they observe you and compare that to how you see yourself and make sure you are communicating what is intended. Just a thought.

in⋅tim⋅i⋅date 
–verb
1. to make timid; fill with fear.
2. to overawe or cow, as through the force of personality or by superior display of wealth, talent, etc.
3. to force into or deter from some action by inducing fear

source: dictionary.com

Or maybe it's not intimidation at all. Maybe it is just confusing. So maybe when we smile, we at least alleviate the confusion. That's a good thing. Right?

I would say smiling is always a good thing. As I walk the halls on a daily basis I try to smile and greet everyone. It brightens my own day as well. :)

You are so right. Recently I realized I was not as cheerful as I needed to be. I decided to try and be more positive and happy. I have been smiling more and greeting people. I make a point to try to say hello to everyone in the hall. Also, I am bad with names so I try to call people by name if I know them. These have really made others happy and like you said, it really makes my own day better as well.

I agree with you. Greeting students by name as you walk down the hall (with a smile on your face of course) really lifts their spirits. You help them relax and see you as an approachable person who cares about them.

How others rank what you are trying to communicate to them is a great barrier to effective communication. If someone in my goup determines that what I am trying to communicate is of low value to them, they will have a tendancy to tune out what I am trying to communicate. This will often times lead to repeats of the same communication, lost time, redundant work and in some cases sore feelings. It is hard to try to make the information relevant to everyone on the same level.

I agree with Leonardo. The biggest challenge is understanding how to be versatile in your communicate with each personality type. Each person has their unique way of learning and receiving information, it is vital to search each employee out and build a solid foundational relationship with each of them so as to know what works best for each of them.

Keeping the communication balanced. Fifty percent of a conversation is listing. Allowing quality time for input from all involved.

I really like this style of communication and agree with you.

Sign In to comment