Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Support

I like to give managers and team the support that they need in whatever why i can to motivate. I find that just offering to provide whatever assistance you can is a great motivating tool. Most of the time, they will not take you up on the offer, however when they do it is imperative that you follow through timely.

I agree that support offered is a great bridge builder. We say that every interaction is an opportunity to build a wall or a bridge. Even when someone's performance or decision is not what you hope, a good question to ask is "How can I help you more in the future?" You are saying in a nice way that the person came up short, but you have not given up on him/her.

It's important for employees to know you offer your support as a team leader. Often times employees feel that asking questions only makes them seem inexperienced or lost and having the reassurance that you are "approachable" removes any doubts from their minds.

This is so true. My big encouragement to leaders/managers/supervisors is to make sure you back up the statement "you can ask me any questions" with confirming actions. Way too often people say this but then punish those who do ask questions.
Ryan

My experience has been the following:

1. Always be available to answer questions to your employees. It shows that as a manager you are involved and interested in them learning. The more your employees learn, the more they would be able to accomplish the job.
2. Just like teachers say: "No questions are stupid", be carefull not to allow your employees asking redundent questions every day. This shows your emplyess is not commited and/or not interested in learning the job.

Great points & I would add that often when an employee is asking the same questions over & over, it is due to a lack of confidence. So when this is happening think about how you can build their confidence so they know they are capable & then they move forward in their job.
Ryan

Hi Michael!
I agree! I liked how you included "in the future" in you asking how you could help. Sometime one's own lack of organization can be a pitfall to their professional growth. I have seen this many times when I offer support to my co-workers. Simply organizing material in folders for easier presentation is such a benefit!

I totally agree with your statement. We as leaders have to mean what we say and lead by example. It is also important to maintain an open door policy so employees feel comfortable in sharing thoughts and ideas.

Mayra,
and I would add that with the open door policy we need to make sure that we mean it. It really needs to truly be an open door to a safe environment.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

As all has stated, in which I agree, the key component is team work. Give your employees the support that they desire and be a part of their success by helping direct them to their goals.

I agree with the team work part. I also think that the support needs to flow both ways. When the employees also support the actions of the manager, the whole team flows in harmony.

brian,
great point & one that sometimes we overlook. Leadership is a "relationship" which means both parties have to work at it.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment