Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Managing diverse projects within the same department

What tips or strategies have you practiced when your team or department has received multiple and diverse projects to complete within the same timeline ?

I look to the strengths of the people in my department and place them on the project they will be able to be the most productive working on. Sometimes it means pulling them out of their "comfort zone" a bit by giving them a new, unfamiliar task to complete, but I always let them know that I wouldn't have called on them to do it if I wasn't confident they could do it.

I use incentives

I have created groups to complete various projects. The groups are created to compliment each other's strengths. Doing so gets the team involved, which creates a sense of ownership. The end result is hard work and dedication.

I realize this is not a tip or strategy for groups. But groups are a great way to help employees continue to stay motivated. Especially using your idea James of cross-functional, complimentary strengths-based teams. Often high performers can get bored if not challenged & these teams can be great ways to challenge them & help them further develop.
Ryan

I would divide the Team in groups and set a deadline for them.The deadline would be prior to the original Deadline date. I will review before turning the projects in.
Neha

A great strategy especially if you can achieve a diverse mix on the different groups.

Also I have found that when I bump the deadline up to be very honest with my team that I am asking for it early so I can review. If they believe that is the real deadline & find out differently later that tends to breed distrust.
Ryan

Sign In to comment