Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Motivation through understanding

In this day and age (as the tutorial pointed out), everyone is pressed for time. A clear vision is a wonderful thing, but won't get a leader very far if there's a pattern of asking more and more of fewer and fewer staff (with few if any incentives). This is an unfortunate result of the horrible economy, and something that takes extra finesse to deal with. How can we, as leaders, deal with this increasingly common situation?

A good leader will recognize when her/his employees are overwhelmed and help them prioritize - the leader will perhaps even take on additional work him/herself to alleviate stress for employees.

Good points about prioritizing. Everyone on a team has to keep asking -- what is important, what needs to be done today, what is holding up someone on my team, is this duplicate work, and is this really important. This happens regardless of the number of people on staff and time available. We all face these issues. It takes focus and discipline to answer these questions and act with priority! Thanks, Susan

I practiced as a registered nurse before becoming an instructor. This is too true of what I experienced in the medical field. More and more responsibilities becoming piled onto fewer and fewer employees is intensely exhausting and leads to burn-out very quickly. I agree with this post. I find it extremely frustrating when a good work performance often is impossible relating to short staffing and overall poor employee moral. It is an on-going issue.

Great points, Helen. Points to the career services departments having to get better job descriptions. And then ask pointed questions. And not posting a job and getting a grad hired when the new hire is doomed to failure. Also may be important to teach students time management and how to evaluate whether all the time in the world will never be enough to get the job done. And then teach the students how to approach the supervisor with suggestions about how to re structure the job so both the patients and employees are in a win-win situation. Thanks, Susan

I agree about your prioritizing points since many of us face tehse or similar issues. The leader should keep everyone on the team asking the important self driving questions....thank you.

Prioritizing - essential in whatever we do. And easily forgotten. But when remembered it is an effective tool for keeping on task and focused on where the most results can be achieved. Thanks, Susan

Prioritization is key as is clear and consistent communication with others. Leading by example goaes a long way toward getting team memebers to understand the goals being put forth and to work toward achieving them.

Good points. Maybe the key to success is being able to prioritize. How we use our time, what we focus on, if we put people ahead of things. Leading by example is important. Also figuring out how people understand and making an effort to communicate with them that way. Thanks, Susan

Being able to do the jobs of those I supervise also helps me lead by example as well. That way no one can say, "She says it should be done this day, but she can't do it herself."

We agree Jackie. Always good to know how a task is to be done, how long it should take, the desired outcome. Then write it up so anyone can handle and everyone is cross trained. Then give people the opportunity to improve the system. Thanks, Susan

Sign In to comment