Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Parts of a Rubric

What are the basic parts of a rubric?

As I learned in this module, rubrics are comprised of 4 parts: scale, descriptors, criteria and standards.

The scale is a means of clarifying for students what is relevant and important for successful completion. As I look at my course I could create scales for application of research, APA, written communication skills and quality/depth of concept application). I would then weight these and ensure students have access to view the weighting.

The descriptors are the means of describing the standards on which I will evaluate their performance. As the name implies, this requires me to be very descriptive in the criteria and what is expected (using examples).

The criteria describe conditions by which performance will be evaluated to determine its success. As I look at my course, I can see utilizing some of the criteria described in this module (content, quality of work, the overall impact of the submission, etc). It was explained that we should include strengths but also errors when listing the criteria. I can see how that would be important.

Standards will indicate how well the criteria must be met. Standards can be described in the descriptors (along with the criteria).

When all 4 parts are included, the rubric becomes a highly effective tool for communicating performance expectations, and providing substantive feedback for the students.

Jennifer ,

Great! Have you created your own rubrics?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Yes, I have created my own rubics but after taking this course, I find that mine are lacking. I plan to apply what I am learning in this course to strengthen the rubrics and make them more effective for enhancing student learning.

Jennifer ,

Great! Where do you think you will focus your efforts?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I believe my priority will be a review of my descriptors (the area where I likely need the most work)

Jennifer ,

What do you think is lacking in your descriptors? How will you fix them?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

The 4 basic parts of a rubric are: scale, descriptors, criteria, and standards. Let me expand...

The scale is simply the numerical portion of the rubric. Assuming that the rubric is rating the work using a point-based system. The standards go along with the scale. For instance, standards could be excellent, great, good, average, and poor. Excellent could be given a 5 on the scale, great a 4, good a 3, average a 2, and poor a 1. Standards could also go along with desciptors, which I will describe after criteria.

Criteria are the different components of the assignment the instructor will be grading upon based on the objectives of the assignment and of the class. Some criteria could be based on formatting (proper referencing, spelling and grammar, etc), and some could be based on the course content and what the student should be focusing on and taking away from the assignment.

Descriptors are used to explain the different criteria and what should be included in each criteria at each level of the scale. This is where standards can be also tied in. A descriptor can describe the criteria and the standards for an excellent rating, the standards for a great rating, and so on.

My biggest challenge is using a broad scale - I tend to use a simple 2-point scale, which means the criteria is either there or it isn't. That doesn't leave the students much room to be creative, and it doesn't show them overall improvement the way a 4 or 5-point scale might. I think I'm going to have to review and expand the rubrics I've been using... :)

Debra,

Great information! You are right about reviewing your rubrics to expand your rubrics. I wish more people would do that! That could be on of the greatest problems of rubrics is not reviewing them and assessing them!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Rubrics, to be successful should include specific information. Rubrics normally have four necessary parts: a scale, descriptors, criteria, and standards.

Example: * Scale: It could be from 1 to 5...
* Criteria: Identify the specific method and content required.
* Indicators: Specifics on how to arrive at the answer. For example - includes a diagram.
* Standard: Indicates what is needed for each of the scale levels.

I have found that the scale is easy enough to develop. The challenge can be developing clear standards for each of the levels.

Jocelyn Dervis

Jocelyn,

The rubrics have to be specific enough to provide essential information to the students and appropriate information for evaluation. However, sometimes with too much specific information, the students don't have to think. . .but just filling the "blanks." It is a challenge. Thanks for your input.

The following are components of the rubric:

Overall learning outcomes, task description, scale, dimensions, and description of each dimension.

Course learning outcomes provides clarity about the expectations for students to learn at the end of the course.

Task description refers to the type of performance
Required of been any given student and providesThe basis for which the task will be scored.

Scale provides clarity about how the task was executed in the form of qualitative verbiage, Such as well done, maginal, satisfactory, lackluster.

Dimensions offer clarity to the reader about certain areas of emphasis such as grammar, spelling, punctuation, analysis, APA.

Description of the dimension provides allows the student to see where they have fallen short on any one of the given dimensions.

Jade Pumphrey

Stevens, D. and Levi, J. (2005) Introduction to rubrics.

Jade,

Thanks for the resource. It is important to continue to learn about rubrics and how to bet design them to meet your needs. Thanks.

The basic parts of a rubric are scale, descriptors, criteria and standards.

The scale is the point value or numerical portion of the rubric.

The criteria will identify the different components of the assignment that will be evaluated.

The descriptor explains the criteria that is being used to measure performance.

And finally the standards indicate how criteria must be met.

Each part of the rubric should build on the other for a thorough assessment of the assignment.

Laurie

Laurie,

Right. And, these parts should work together to make an effective rubric for the students and instructor. Thanks!

Dr.Kelly Wilkinson,
The basic parts of a rubrics are: a scale, descriptors, criteria, and standards. A scale indicates points to be assigned in scoring a piece of work on a continuum of quality. Descriptors for each level of performance describe criteria and standards by which the performance will be judged. Criteria are items that describe the conditions that any performance must meet to be successful. Standards specify how well criteria must be met. This information was obtained from the course. Of these four parts, I would place "Criteria" as the key to developing a good rubrics. Do you agree?
Sincerely,
Walter
9-7-12

Walter,

Without essential and well-planned out criteria, the scale and other components cannot "survive" on their own. Nice job. Thanks for your input.

In reviewing the elements that make up a rubric, at the core is the relationship between criteria and (performance) standards. Once these elements have been developed, indicators of varying levels of performance that tie directly back to scale should be fairly straight forward to articulate. If not, there is probably an underlying issue related to criteria and standards.

Bennett,

Yes, the criteria should be connected to the performance indicators and the learning outcomes. This helps tie it all together.

The parts of a rubric are scale, descriptors, criteria, and standards. The scale offers the measurement of the criteria. Descriptors give explanation of what each step is and how it is evaluated. Criteria give the requirements for each step and standards are how reliable and valid a rubric is. It allows the rubric to equal its scale.

Sign In to comment