Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Any good technology assessment tools for specialized science/math

I feel most of the assessment tools discussed here are oriented more towards general studies or introductory science or math courses. What about the tools for more advanced / specialized courses? It seems that we still have to do the assessment mostly manually.

Wanpeng,

how would you do that in an online course.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I teach in an online Master's of Education program. Most of our assessments fall into the category of authentic assessments. We provide the students with a hypothetical scenario and they are required to use the theories and concepts that we are discussing and apply them to the scenario. Although we use standardized grading rubrics, there is still a great deal of subjectivity involved. We download the student responses written as APA papers and provide feedback electronically but technology is simply permitting us to work in an online environment not really adding any value to the preparation or the grading of the assignment.

I teach finance courses that have assignments with either the right or wrong answer, but yes, there is room to assess outside of this if they were heading in the right direction yet made a slight technical error.

Trude,

Your content area really lends itself to authentic assessment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Robert,

I do have a friend that uses applets to teach Stats. If you google stat attic you should find it.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Students can be assessed in their knowledge and skills by specialized applications that are used in the real-world. For example, many healthcare facilities use coding 'encoders' applications which increase a coders productivity and accuracy. These tools are essential in the reimbursement processes in healthcare. In the online coding courses, students are expected to document their understanding of the reimbursement processes and to demonstrate their skills by actually using the 'encoders' on specific content materials, such as, online coding references. This works well as instructors can focus on both subjective and objective assessments.

Donna,

Great post! You can use great tools that serve students in your subject area well.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment