Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Can Technology be frightening to the older student?

I have taught using technology to both young and old. I found to my surprise that the older students (i.e. senior citizens; greater than 65 years old) are more interested in learning technology to participate than students in their thirties.

Has anyone found this same phenomenom?

Esther,

That is interesting? I think the younger students take the technology for granted. The older students may enjoy the learning aspect of the technology. Again interesting comment.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I think that students in their 30s are more used to technology and therefore there isn't the excitement that there is for older students. Speaking from the point of view of a 31 year old, we took computer classes in elementary school. Technology has always been a part of our life!

Susan ,

Good point, it is been a part of their education for the beginning! Good answer.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

In my classes I have found that the younger students can do much more than I can on a computer; older students may be more excited, but they make a lot more errors on the computer and feel like that should not be the focus of an English class, for example. I can't always tell the difference between a spelling error and a typo, and when they get dinged for a typo, they feel it's not fair. I work on the principle in English that everything in a paper should be correct. Also, the older students often get lost and submit work incorrectly. I find it difficult to help them with a computer program from afar.

That's interesting- I think the technological age doesn't always match chronological age since some of my older students tend to be able to master the same technology required of the younger students. In terms of replies on discussion board threads, there are usually more elaborate replies that are grammatically correct from my older students.

Michael,
Great points! I too have found that nontraditional students want to have more "one on one" in a traditional format and I have to remind them that this is a online course and communication must be done "online".

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Dania,

YOU ARE RIGHT! The nontraditional students tend to be more detailed oriented. Our traditional students seem to think that discussion is an extension of social media.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I work in a professional program where the average age of the entering students is around 30. In our program, we require that our students have to use IPADs or laptops in all of our classes and some of our assessments are given via technology. One of the projects that our students have to do is to create a brochure. I have found that the older students did seem to shy away from technology when it came to creating the brochure but the quality of their work on the brochure was miles ahead of the younger students. My best brochure came from a group made up of two younger students and an older student.

I think technology can offer many things to the "new" older student. As they discover the convenience, scope and ability to reach their grandchildren, they become more comfortable with the overall concept.

In my experience, I have not found this to be the case. Many of my older students tend to use their age as a crutch or as a reason that they are not aware of new technologies. Sometimes, it seems that they are aware, but not familiar and that can create some issues. I do think that the students in their 30's tend to think that they know everything as opposed to the older students who think that they know nothing. I am not sure that either group is 100% correct.

Hi Susan. I tend to agree with your comments in-part. Yes, younger students are more aware of newly designed technology, and most likley use it more than older adults. With this in mind, I find it more difficult to motivate younger students to utilize technology and other resources which will eventually help them move forward in their academic programs.

Technology may had been part of their lives for some time, but the motivation to utlize it accordingly and to their benefit within the academic environment still needs a little push.

Beverly,

Interesting. . . The composition of a group can help with the technology phobia. Do you have your younger students demonstrate to the more mature ones?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Beth,

Yes, it is a confidence builder in all aspects of an online course? Do you have an orientation that you use to help your "mature" students?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Janelle ,

You are RIGHT! I too have found that age becomes more of a crutch and the younger students have spotty technology skills at best!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Elton,

Another great insight! Sometimes our younger students tend to get lazy when learning technology.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

There are times when I have my younger students showing the more mature students and vice versa. It depends on what we are talking about as to who may lead the discussion.

Beverly,

Isn't that wonderful. That is what learning should be ( and not just about technology).

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

I believe that technology can be challenging to the older student; but can be a tool to expand the "older" adults mind. It can help the senior gain confidence in the online environment through small successes. So, yes they are often very interested in this "new" concept.

I instruct a virtual lab. Going through the simulation for the first time can be a challenge. Once the skill is acquired, most students have few difficulties. I believe that an older students "hangs" on every word and actually reads the feedback (looking to develop and improve. The younger student often looks at the final grade, rather than the feedback (and struggles more to actually make improvements).

Sandra,

Great points! I agree that a technology can expand the experience. It is frustrating at times with both types of students! Why can we combine the two :)

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Sign In to comment