Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Types of Rubrics

I never realized that there were different types of rubrics. I thought they were all the same, but now I understand how they are different.

Terry

Terry,

How would you use them and what time fits your style?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Hi Terry,

I agree with you. When I think about creating grading rubrics, I don't think in terms of holistic, analytic, etc. I have always focused on the learning objectives for the course and/or assignment. I will certainly take a second look the next time I have to create a grading rubric.

Laurie

Laurie and Terry,

Keep up the good work at communicating with each other through this forum and providing new things to think about. We are all learning from each other through this process.

I also now use a variety of types of rubics to evaluate students.

Gregory,

Excellent. Glad they work for you and your students. Kep up the good work.

It was interesting to read that there are different types of rubrics. Before creating the rubrics, we should consider the advantages and disadvantages. I also believe that rubrics created should be motivating, and help in enhancing students’ learning. This will help in achieving their goals.

Sitara

Nagalakshmi ,

Thanks for noting that the end result should be the students achieving their goals. This is what we are all working for. Thanks for your input.

I didn't think about different types of rubrics either Terry!
Thought: Where I teach there is basically x number of points for the content of the student reponse and y number of points for following the directions.
However, instructors can shave off up to 10% (of x+y points) of points for a late submission.
How does that mess with the impact of using the rubric?
Tina

Tina,

You can still take off points for a late assignment with a rubric, but be careful not to confuse a checklist and a rubric. A checklist would be something like:

(4 points) - Two graphics were included in the report
(2 points) - Report was formatted properly
(2 points) - No spelling errors

A rubric would have criteria to help the students improve. Make sense?

I was at first forced into using rubric grading Tina and while I must admit I resented that, I grew to really like them--I love the feedback nature of them and the detail of it to my students--in fact I really like the Waypoint rubric grading methodology--great system I think--Dr Jim

James,

Yeah! Glad you grew to like them. They are so beneficial to students and to you, as the instructor. Detailed feedback should result from a well-developed rubric. Thanks for sharing.

I actually had not thought of coming up with my own rubrics for assignments. I tend to have a limited amount of assignment types, and I thing this could greatly improve my grading consistency and give a more clearly set expectations for my students.

Aaron,

Glad you are thinking about it now. You may be surprised how rubrics will help you and your students. I even use a rubric for discussion board postings. Thanks.

Interesting here Terry. I too have found many different rubrics used. To some extent, we use different rubrics depending on the type of course and student. In the end, the key to use this as a tool to help students learn, and to aid in the school's assessment process of the course curriculum.

Roberto and Terry,

The use of different types of rubrics is common. Many times it depends on the assignment, course content, and learning objectives. We have to make sure the rubric is assisting the students and measuring what it should be measuring. Thanks!

Sign In to comment