Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Summative Versus Formative

The words "summative" versus "formative" is self-explantory. But, the words "assessment" versus "evaluation" are used interchangeably in many cases, so distinguishing between the two is difficult for most educators. Would you agree?

Esther,

Yes, I do! I actually think that many times educators think they are distinguishing between the two. Also the institution can create its on definition adding to the confusion.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Absolutely. Certainly, this is in no small part due to the fact that outside of education the general meaning of these words is in fact interchangeable. The definition of assessment is "The evaluation or estimation of the nature, quality, or ability of someone or something"...evaluation is actually IN the meaning!

Christopher,

Nice! We also use the term accountability in all of this and I am not sure that is part of the of the assessment conversation.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Kelly, I think that "accountability" is very much a part of any evaluation or assessment. I think accountability is a two-way street. The students have accountability to their work in terms of following directions and timeliness. I have students failing in these regards. Too many of them feel that they can pick and choose what directions to follow and when they submit their work.

I have accountability to them, as well. My directions have to be clearly understood. If I fail in making clear directions as to what is expected, then there is no way my students can be held "accountable" for satisfying the requirements of the assignment. I also have a responsibility for getting back to my students as quickly as possible when I have heard from them or when assignments have been submitted. Fair evaluations cannot be made unless I have fulfilled my responsibilities first.

Once I have done these things, then I expect the students to comply with instructions or to ask questions if they do not understand something. Frankly, my online problem students tend to not read carefully, not care whether something is right or wrong, and go out of their way to do something as short as possible, leaving details and examples behind. This defines negatively what can be expected from them.

Again, I stress that accountabilities cannot be discounted in any form of evaluation or summary of the student's work. Finding a way to do this from afar is the catch. Does anyone here in the course have any tricks for getting accountability from students when they resent taking the course at all?

Yes, I think that a lot of teachers would have a problem differentiating consistently between assessment and evaluation because as mentioned before, they think in terms of them being interchangeable. I don't think that would be surprising. However, as I have learned today, assessment is ongoing and evaluation tends to be determining how much has been learned. I think, though, that the terms used are not necessarily important, as long as the teacher knows that the two represent different facets. As long as I remember, for example, that I have continuing responsibiility throughout the term to know how my student are doing, and that at the end, I have to assign a grade. I could use Appraisal A and Appraisal B and get the same effect with the same basic word. It's the knowledge that students and teachers must have feedback from one another throughout a course and feedback in terms of a grade at the end.

I currently do "assessments," as they are called, for placing all incoming students into the proper English classes. The college wants to call them assessments; regardless of the term used, I know that I am using a diagnostic process, but I will have no ongoing relationship with the students involved, and I'm really doing an evaluation for placement purposes.

I know that language (terms) helps us communicate easily, but it's the concepts that count, not the names of the processes. Not everybody will take this course, but most teachers probably understand what is involved in appraisals of student work.

Michael,

You are speaking my language! Your insight is great! I wish all educators felt the way that you do! Great Job!

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Michael,

Well articulated. You do have a good view of both assessment and evaluation. I am surprised about how educators do view assessment as more of a necessary evil rather than a tool for improvement.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

As I began this particular lesson, I realized that assessments and evaluations are distinctly different. The importance in that difference is that assessments improve student learning. I would argue that evaluation does the same in that students learn by mistakes and there is some evidence that learning is thereby reinforced – the student rarely makes the same mistake twice. The problem is that evaluations can be set in concrete as a grade or a score, and, in most learning environments I have been in, the student is stuck with it. I like the idea of assessments where there is a recovery component in that students learn from mistakes, including how to better review the material to retain knowledge or practice procedures or processes to be better at skill performance. I personally like the idea of students being able to self-assess when they want during a course of instruction without penalty to see if they are “getting it.” The process also allows the instruction to be tailored to the learning styles and abilities of the student.

George,
You make a great point. In our "education world" evaluation doesn't allow students to have the opportunity to make the same mistake price, yet good assessment training will tell us that there should be multiple opportunities to determine if a student knows certain content.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

George,
Thank you for the distinction between assessment and evaluation. I have always used the terms interchangeably. How do you assess whetehr or not a student knows certain content?

I have found that assessment is a necessary evil, until this course information. Perhaps the university and colleges could expalin more as to what it is that the instructors are suppose to do rather than presuming that they do know what to do and that there is a difference. I have found that once an assessment or an evaluation is complete, there is never any follow-up to it; therefore, the purpose is not identified, nor is there any reason for the instructor to look forward to doing the assessment.

Tina,

They are often used interchangeably. Both should assess if students know content.

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Tina,

Wow, I don't know where to start! Assessment is SOOOO IMPORTANT! This should be a cyclical process that allows you to adjust your online course and to improve student learning. How do you know you are achieving your objectives?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson

Esther, your "assessment" is right on...there is a big difference between evaluation and assessment. That said, it appears in this module they use the terms interchangeably, and while their processes are different, the outcome remains the same: improving human performance.

FYI...in the "education" world, evaluation is the process to improve instruction, while assessment is the process to measure learning. That said and generally speaking, faculty normally do not get involved in the evaluation process, which is generally a function of course/curriculum development. However, faculty are directly involved in the assessment process.

All,
The truth is I used to make the same mistake until I took that course.
A formative assessment is an ongoing process oriented activitiy that is intended to improve the quality of teaching and the quality of learning.
An Evaluation is a summation assessment that is completed by a student at the end of a course and whihch is designed to measure the quality of work.

The instructor's accountability resides primarily in the fact that she/he must ascertain that the assignment/test/quiz submitted to the student is a valid instrument, which means that it assesses the knowledge it is supposed to assess.

As a card carrying member of the AEA (American Evaluation Association) I beg to differ with the definitions that are provided in this course.
Assessment and Evaluation are different. It is not appropriate to define Evaluation as summative assessment. By doing so, you are saying that they are the same thing.

Assessment is individual. We assess individual learners to determine whether or not they have mastered the learning objectives that have been established. It should always be diagnostic and focused on strengths and areas for improvement. We use formative and summative assessments. They help us to facilitate the learning and development of individual learners.

The American Evaluation Association focuses on Program Evaluation. We evaluate programs for merit and worth. Program Evaluation does not address individual learners. We use formative and summative evaluation in order to facilitate continuous improvement of our programs.

Jolly,
Obviously, you and I are on the same page. Evaluation focuses on the program and whether or not the program is contributing to achievement of organizational goals/results.

Sign In to comment