Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Evaluating Using Rubrics

What is the difference in evaluating a performance, process or product?

Dr. Kelly Wilkinson,
The difference in evaluating a performance, process or product is as follows:
1) Assessing a performance, one is asking the student to perform a task that can be review over time.
2) Whereas a process is a series of steps, actions,or functions to bring a result.
3) Evaluating a product is to assess a result. The instructor(s) is more concerned with the final product.
Do you think I am more product oriented?
Sincerely,
Walter
9-6-12

Walter,

Hmmm...sounds very much like a product oriented person. :-). Thanks again for your input.

Performance evaluation is looking at the aesthetics of an overall event as well as the level of competency of the student performing the task.
Process evaluation is looking at each step and evaluating.
Product evaluation is looking at the end result.
Those are the differences.

Camesha,

Good description of the differences. Thanks for breaking that down for us.

The difference between these three items help enrich the student's learning experience. For example, process...though the student may have come out with an incorrect problem overall, understanding and evaluating their process will allow us to know exactly where the student when wrong and let's us address that with them. The product is also important to analyze as that's ultimately what would be delivered to their employer (they are not going to care about process, they need to know they can count on their employees to create a satisfactory product).

Kimberly,

I like your tie to employers and employees. It is good to explain how what students are doing in class helps prepare them for work.

Thanks for your input.

Performance –focus on the actual task being completed and how
Process – focus on how we reach our goals….a step by step flow
Product – focus on the outcome

Sherrilyn,

Right on. Nice description. As we learn from each other, this will be easy for others to understand. Thanks.

The difference for evaluating a performance, process or product is how the assignment should be assessed to give the student reliable and valid feedback in a rubric. These three categories require the use of different rubrics such as Holistic and Analytical or task specific. A rubric that separates process is more analytical due to the separate pieces or steps of an activity individually and then allows for adding all scores for a total rating.Performance is descriptive and describe criteria and standards by which the performance will be judged. Indicators provide examples or signs of performance of criteria in a rubric.Holistic rubric is more product oriented.

De Monte,

You bring up very good points. Performance, process and product can be very different. Using the right rubric is key. Thanks so much.

I teach statistics classes. In this type of class, students need to learn various processes to go through to get a correct result, so the process is as important as the product. It's easy to make a simple mistake, say, an arithmetic error, so I regularly remind students to show their work. That way, I can see how they got to the answer they did, even if it's wrong. Right answers also aren't much good if the student doesn't understand how he got there--and with computer programs nowadays, it's possible to get the output but not know how to interpret it.

A current final assignment in one of the statistics classes I have is to prepare a PowerPoint presentation of the results of research. The goal is to convince the audience that the author has selected the appropriate target market. Here, I won't see the process involved in doing the calculationrs or preparing the presentation. I'll see the final "performance" and the criteria for evaluating it will be more qualitative than the criteria for the statistical analyses.

Mara,

Sounds like you are moving them through the process. First they show their work and then move more to implanting what they know - more critical thinking. Nice job.

The difference in evaluating a performance, process or product must be identified by the instructor and create the rubric accordingly. If an assessment of a student's process is to be evaluated then the instructor needs to determine if the process is a decision making process, research process or writing process.
In some circumstances only the final product is evaluated, and the process or method used is not evaluated.
Evaluating a performance, like a presentation, requires a rubric specifically tailored especially for performances that is not exactly analytic and not quite holistic.

Process evaluation is based on "how" something was accomplished and is focused around the process.

Product evaluation is based on end result. The text suggests that "holistic" is the type rubric to use. I would use the example of computer programming. Does it work?

Performance is a combination. Does the process result in the desired product? This is a more complex evaluation. I majored in chemistry. When we took Quantitative Analysis, we wrote the results on an index card. That was the initial analysis of the work. (Did you get the answer, statistically speaking?) The professor then wanted to know how we arrived by reviewing the lab notebook.

12/12/2012

Dulcinea,

Yes, it is important to think carefully about what you are grading when beginning to establish an effective rubric. Your post will help other consider these factors more carefully as well. Thanks.

Dr. Tena B. Crews

Evaluating performance is looking at the task oriented portion of any project. Evaluating process is actually breaking down the students methodology. Finally, evaluating product would be critical analysis of the final deliverable.

Sandra,

I like the way you added your input with questions incuded. This gives us many things to think about. Thanks1

Michael,

Great description of the methodologies. Performance, process and product can be different during the assessment process.

Performance refers to a job - task driven assignment. It is often affilated with expression in its various forms e.g. arts, forensics, construction, etc. The instructor rates the means and content of expression.

Process refers to the rudiments of "how" a thing is done or interpreted. It is often related to research, mathematics, connective reasoning, etc. The instructor rates how a student logically progresses from point A to Z (the process)

Product referes to "the thing" being developed or assessed. It is linked to such items as portfolios,reports, etc. The student is scored for the quality and content of the thing as a reflection and outcome of learning.

Sign In to comment