Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Best Practices and Tips for Questioning in the Classroom | Origin: ED114

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Best Practices and Tips for Questioning in the Classroom --> Questioning in the Classroom

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Depending on the students social confort level the process of getting most or all of the students engaged may take serval days to weeks. You would have to start with question you know they can answer and work up from there.

Richard Ullery

I do consider this second module has been very useful for me similar that it was the first one. It has facilitated me a much better understanding on not only how I must consider questioning the students to improve their learning process, but also by providing to me some very useful techniques and tips that I will undoubtedly incorporate to my different lectures.

As an overall conclusion for this ED 114 "Questioning in the classroom" course, It has been very useful!! It has clarified to me several aspects on "the way of questioning to my students during my lectures" that I must consider how to better incorporate them in my different classes I am responsible to deliver.

Definitively, It is going to help me on improving my skills and effectiveness as an Instructor and as a result, to facilitate the learning process of my students

THANKS

Antonio

I appreciated the examples of techniques to use in the classroom to further enhance questioning during instruction, including redirection, probing, reinforcement, and praise.  I also appreciated the tips for questionsing, especially regarding wait time, as just providing students with a few more seconds can have a positive effect on their understanding and participation.

Wait time is important after asking questions and getting a response from students. 

Learning about wait-time was really interesting. I always need time to formulate a response, so its natural for me to also allow students to fully articulate a response. I can definitely see how it can influence a class environment.

I have experienced breaking the ice with personal introduction. That can get learners interested in the their classmates. Then go to the topic ask general questions to class how would they use this class information. allow wait time after each response. 

Learning my students learning styles will help me understand as well help them when it comes to the different types of questions ask of them. Make sure I give the right amount of wait time for the response.

Involve students in the evaluation and reflection of the classroom questioning process by choosing a monitor to be responsible for tracking how many questions are: teacher or student, open or closed, factual or conceptual.

This shows students that you want to improve the quality of your questioning and that of theirs too.

Wait time and reinforcment add to student confidence

I do a lot of probing and redirecting. When students dont provide the proper answer, I rephrase questions and probe by redirecting and eventually reaching the desired answer.

I plan on paying more attention to whom I call on for responses;  I will not always call on the students with their hands raised.  I plan on being more mindful of wait times, increasing wait times to at least 3 seconds especially for complex quetions.

I need to remind myself to add the appropriate amount of wait time after asking questions

i ve learned alot from this module, we have to give time to the students to think and to accept the different personality of the students

I learned that wait time is very important.

I have a much clearer understanding of probing, redirecting, and reinforcement. I have always praised my students for accomplishments but know I must be aware to not overdue it. 

Lots of helpful tips in this module for questioning. I didn't relise how much my response to questions means.

This module helped me further understand how to answer questions from students. Also, using probing, redirection and use of praise in my everyday lectures.  

Good info on wait time

What have you learned from this module and how do you intend to apply it?

Today, I have learned about the various types of responses expected from students in the classroom, and I've come to the realization that being aware of the type of response I aim to elicit in each lesson will help me prepare for the appropriate actions to take in response to those possibilities. Equipping myself with the necessary tools and strategies to address these responses and enhance the learning experience has been truly enlightening. It underscores the significance of proactive teaching and the role of educators in facilitating a dynamic and constructive learning environment."

Carmin Deysi Briceño Meza

Sign In to comment