Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

A great plan for outlining assignment expectations.

Hi

This is my first-time teaching in a classroom/clinical setting. Very good material that I can definitely use from now on with my students.

Be available to the students and be a role model of success

Making clear expectations on when the assisgnments will be due and what the consequeces will be for late or missed assisgnments.

I believe I will need to "draw a line in the sand" with student in regards to due dates on assignments

I agreed with setting a standard while maintaining a "protocol" and reminding students of due dates and deductions if work is late or missing. 

Shelly, I like your idea of ice breaker. I usually ask fun questions to studnets like their favorite holiday and why, or who their role model is. I plan on using your idea with my next class especially if it is a new cohort.

First night discuss late submissions 

The learning experience is important for both teacher and student. To get the best out of students, the teacher must clearly and repeatedly highlight course requirements and openly engage students.

Interesting guidance about the importance of establishing a late work policy. I would add that in the COVID era, there is still a lot of grace being given to students in deadlines and due dates. So, while it is helpful to students to establish and maintain a clear and appropriate late work policy, in my experience it is also important to prepare to make exceptions. In the last three years, we have learned more about the barriers students face in their home lives and teachers have become more flexible about how learning can be demonstrated. So I would add that clear expectations and reasonable flexibility are key components of a 2022 syllabus. 

The syllabus is the most important handout given during the first class meeting. Students become motivated when they personalize the course content to their career goals. 

Excellent content in this section! Create a lesson plan that is a working document, not just a checklist, and then sit after content delivery and reflect upon the class. Ensure that syllabi deliver expectation and requirements and that student read them by constructing them in such a way as to highlight important information. Get student buy-in. Lots of good points!

I have learned in my classes, if you give the students a finger they will take the whole hand, that means late assignments, they complain if I take points off. But a good point is if you give a precise deadline with points taken off per day that is good. Also when you print all the deadlines for them before the go home for the weekend.

Reply to Marquita Scott's post: Reply to Marquita Scott's post:that is a must or the class start out bad

The ice breaker is such a great activity for not only the instructor to get to know the students, but for the students to know each other. Through this the students will team work and release tension during the first meeting.

I really liked how it stressed the importance of a syllabus and setting expectations for the class, both what I expect of the students and what they can expect from me, the lectures, the responsibilities outside of class, etc. The syllabus is a "road map" for the students who often are nervous, especially at the beginning of the term. 

From the beginning, I will be clear about expectations and late assignments.  I need to improve on deadline reminders.  I also have to remind them of the golden rule of real life and that there are no excuses for late or missed work.  The students are going to be future nurses and there is no such thing as providing half the care to a patient or not providing any care due to caring for another patient.  Thanks for these modules, very helpful.

I learned how important it is to be clear and set expectations and boundaries for students on day 1.

• I loved the video regarding how it is my obligation to show students it's okay to share without expertise. Students tend to learn from how I relate the topics we are learning to my personal clinical experience, however I am going to also start to ask them if they have seen the disease we are learning about in their experiences. This will allow students to share and correct any misconceptions about what they have learned.

• As a teacher, I need to make the student “sound better” by using phrases like, “do you mean this?” or “ it sounds like you’re contemplating this vs this?” then to expand on the topic, validate correct thought processes then expand on students experience and expertise in personal world view.

Student want to know what the exspectations are and that you will enforce them. If student find that you are inconsistent with the exspectations they will not respect the exspectiations

Sign In to comment