Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I loved the "Put the golden rule principle into effect in your class". This is something I believe we question ourselves about time and time again. Are we giving enough grace? Do we need to lower the benchmark? These are questions we all ask making sure we are advocating for student success? However, as advocates, we must not lower our standards of excellence. 

After every clas take 20 minutes and write down what you thought(planned) would happen and compare to what actually hapened.

Set class expecations at t6he beginning.

It is equally important to have a high expectation for students to show competency in the mastery of their material as it is for them to understand their role in helping to make the learning envirnment as smooth as possible. I often find my classes tend to band together in trying to get things figured out. They learn early on that we all share a common goal of wanting to do a good job. So I will usually ask their feedback by calling on them during classroom discussions. It shows them that it is ok not to know something, but I phrase it in the form of questions to them as if I am trying to find out how for myself. I think it offers a discovery dynamic; we can user our people skills for better understanding how somebody else would solve a problem, and why they would tend to do it that way. The interesting part is when we get to tie it all in together and see which are the most efficient routes in determining solutions.

Making sure students understand that as for the WIIFM, turning in assignments by the deadline or communicating issues that may arrive when they don't have a assignments turned in can save them from getting an undesired grade.

Engage students both physical and mentally with critical thinking skills applied to real world situtations. 

Ensure all timelines are well understood 

make sure these adult learning students understand this is career preperation and will thus reflect on them as entry level employees 

thank you 

Francine 

the engagement of students is key to retaining them in the classroom. expectations in the classroom are key in having an organized environment.

I have taught several of my classes over and over, becoming too familiar with them.  In putting together a syllabus, I need to remember this all new to new students and write it from their veiw.

Information on the first day of class, presenting the syllabus and having an ice breaker activity to decrease the student's anxiety about the course expecations. 

WIIFM- Make sure that all of the content can fall into this for students and the instructor. By using the golden rule the instructor can make sure the 10% that need intervention know that everything is in the syllabus. 

In order to provide an effect platform for success for students an instructor welcome the student into his/her classroom. This can be done with 'ice breaker' activities to include but not limited to asking student why they choose the particular career, work experience, family history, etc. Secondly, informing students there is an open door policy allowing them reasonable access to an instructor for their instructional benefit. Thirdly, as an instructor it is vital to incorporate all learning styles to ensure each pupil is able to comprehend, interupt and perform the skill being taught. 

I do use ice breakers for my first class, and I briefly go through the syllabus. I try not to focus too much of my time.... because I really need to get to my lecture or I will be behind with no catch-up time because there is so much material and so little time. I do like the idea of making the syllabus creative with colors and different fonts. One of my stressors is the late assignments because the student's excuses are unbelievable.

restructing the timeframe of late and missed assigments

My take away from this module is to clearly set expectations and find teaching strategies that support teamwork and collaboration. 

I liked the airplane team building activity.  It allows them to get to know eachother and learn how to collaborate.  It allows me to also observe how well they collaborate and who are potential leaders.

I teach carpentry and the shop environment is the best way to gauge if my students are grasping what I'm teaching in the classroom. I group them in teams to perform tasks and it is true that the group dynamic affects the out come. I'm going the have to change they way I group students. With carpentry the virtual learning would be really hard the implement being that carpentry is really a hands-on task.

I learned the following in this course:

The value of a well written syllabus.  A well written syllabus can spare the faculty unnecessary headache and debate.

Students need to develop a personal connection with the course - and this is my responsibility as the teacher.

Teamwork is vital to my students' success.

One does not need to be an SME to share.

Staring with an icebreaker is a great idea to improve teamwork throughout the course. The challenging part is reminding the students to meet the deadline's requirements. This course is beneficial in strengthening the ideas to be a successful instructor.

Setting an open door atmosphere from the very beginning. Also learning student's limitations early on to be able to better help them throughout the semester.

Great module, full of information. Many great points were made in this module, but most importantly was the ability to reflect as an instructor and make modifications frequently throughout the course such as providing more group projects, delivering more visual information, etc. 

Sign In to comment