Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Comparing Instructor to Instructor

Students often compare myself to other instructors. I am a different sort of instructor who likes to challenge students with scavenger hunts, memory games, and various activities to keep it interesting. The majority like the variety and they are learning as we review. But they compare me with other Instructors who are not as different. Am I too different?

The Lagster

It never ceases to amaze me how students can find mutiple subject matter to discuss in class while completing group assignments that they're already behind in. Even when given reminders of how important it is to learn a tasks that piggybacks anothers task, they just don't seem to stay focused on the task at hand. This can become quite irritating.

Medical Assisting

Are we crippling are students by offering them too many opportunities to perform mediocre work in order to receive passing grades when personal hindrances beyond their control impact their lives.

Additional Resources

I always provide for my students additional resources on the subject matter that is being covered in class. It seems as though they get this additional information and never use it. How can I get them interested with the subject (graphic design) at hand and understand that they are going to always have to look at addition resources to possibly solve a problem.

Balance teaching to learning stylest

What is the best way to balance teaching to learning stylest so that all of the class is getting what they need.

MY PERSONALITY

I understand that not all students will like my personality. How do I keep the relationship professional and maintain a good teaching relationship when we don't really get along ?

Comfortably teaching behind the desk

What is your input about lecturing from behind a desk or podium?

Who are you and what did you do with our teacher?

I had to cover an instructor who called in sick. I never had her students before. When I walked into the class a student dropped her jaw. Just with their body language this large class communicated to me that I was not welcomed. Before they could pick up their jaws from the floor I immediately introduced my self. I gave a brief explanation about what happened to their teacher. I told them not to worry that they were in good hands. Please share any suggestions you might have for instructors who might come in the middle of the quarter to be the new permanent teacher. I also like to get some input for the teacher who has to cover a class for a day with very little short notice. John

The Magic of Guest Speakers (with the ability to hire Students)

During the month of December 2006, I continued a favorite academic / professional skill development practice. I received the permission of the Dean to have a Networking Event. This would incorporate my Management class, an English Composition Class and a Principles of Marketing class. I brought these classes together on a Saturday morning to allow an overlapping of real-life skills to occur in real-time. I asked the English Comp class to critique the resumes of the other classes. I asked the Principles of Marketing class to provide unusual methods to help the other classes market themselves to potential employers. I asked the Management class to provide a solid game plan and timetable to prospect and interview with a purpose over the next month. All of these actions were occurring during a business breakfast in the banquet room of a Golden Corral. Ten or more professionals from the students' intended degree fields were represented there: Criminal Justice Information Technology Electronics Business Industry Medical Assistance These students had an opportunity to dine in a business setting with these professionals. The professionals had a refreshing moment to relate the real skills that would entitle the students to have consideration for a career and receive recognition in the workplace. These students understood that all of the participants were executives, decision-makers, and / or owners of businesses looking for entry-level and career-changers. The turnout was remarkable for a Saturday morning at 7:30 am - on both sides of the coin. Several appointments and interviews have transpired since then. As you can see, we were able to accomplish several tasks within that 3 hour time period. I was very proud of the students' participation and humbled that my business associates and friends would take the time to lend their talents and viewpoints to the students! Thank you

THE DEVELOPMENT OF A POSITIVE ENVIRONMENT

Our students have an expectation for the classes in their chosen curriculum. They expect the newly-acquired information to be the stepping stone to success in their field. As they travel this academic journey, we have to create an environment that affords them the opportunity to free of the mental, social and familial chains. These chains have precluded them from being productive in the past. I promise the class that they will be in a cocoon free of the negative forces that haunt them daily. I share with them some of the obstacles that have been in my way, during the same time frame. People would ask me: "Why do you want to go to a big school? You will get lost there. "Why do you think that you can be a college graduate?" "How are you going to pay for it?" I share with them questions that have been asked of other students: "What makes you think you can graduate? No body in your family has a college degree." "What are you going to do with your kids, when you are in class?" "How are you getting to class? You don't have a car!" These questions originate from envious people. They realize their own limitations. Then, they impose their negative feelings upon my students. Once I explain that mindset to the students, I see the change in their countenance as we talk about being successful - against all odds. It is great to witness the metamorphosis. I promise them that this class will be the most positive place for them to dream, reach for their goals and be told at every class, "Yes you can do it!" The greatest intrinsic reward is to see the seeds of confidence and self-worth germinate and begin to flourish in the classroom setting. Months and years later, I receive phone calls and emails from excited students who are reaching their new plateau in personal and professional growth. This is a great moment of validation for the past student, the present student and for the teacher. It reinforces my resolve to continue this practice in every class, regardless of the subject matter. Thank you!

Constructing a Learning Agreement with Students

Students expect a systematic approach to their learning of the main subjects in the course. One of the ways that I am receiving immediate feedback is the extension of a "Learning Agreement" with the individuals in the class. Initially, I called it a "Learning Contract", but our litigious society has put a negative connotation on the word, contract. I realized that using the word, agreement, indicates that both of us will be required to act in a very objective manner: pertaining to the course desired learning outcomes and practical applications to the real world. I provide a template to the students that relates the following: I need your help. It has become clear to me from students and personal experience that some classes ignore some points that would help the individual student. Here is how you can help the class learn more. Think of some of the: „\ topics, „\ ideas, „\ career objectives, „\ family-related situations and, „\ personal information, etc. that you would like to receive in this class. We will examine those issues and make the class a more personally satisfying experience for you and me. Thank you for your assistance. (Putting your name on this is not mandatory.) ********************************************* I have received invaluable feedback that has personalized the course for the students. It has challenged me to find supplemental material to bring the suggestions of the students to life. This is a refreshing exercise to keep the course interesting for the student and the teacher. Thank you!

Participation versus Attendance

The First Day of Class One of the first items to cover in class is the criteria for the Participation Grade. A number of students believe that they have "participated" if they show up at some point in the class and occupy a seat. I give them a written outline of the parameters to acquire a score of 100 each day for Participation. It is up to them to earn the following points: 25 points - Arriving on time 25 points - Arriving prepared for class (reading, homework, etc.) 25 points - Active contribution to class activities, exercises and discussions 25 points - Departing at the Official Dismissal (sneaking out is not permissible) Once the student knows how these points will be earned - not penalized, their mindset changes, accordingly. Furthermore, they realize that the guidelines are very objective in nature and application. The best evidence of success is when you hear them policing each other to produce to earn the daily points. That is a rewarding moment for the student and the teacher.

Lesson Plans

Does anyone have suggestions for pulling students away from dependence on PowerPoint slides? It seems like most of my students have come to rely on that form of visual. Thanks, Jennie

Maintaining Motivation during extended absences

The students in my graduate classes are deployable because of their job or their organization. This may mean that they are gone from class from one to four weeks. While there are makeup assignments due and we communicate electronically, it has been difficult to maintain motivation when they aren't physically part of the class. Any suggestions?

Bridging the gap

If you are having trouble bridging the gap between the front of the classroom and the students in their seats...what are some effective ways of constructing that bridge?

Response

The effectiveness of the eduational process is based on the result of how the teacher teaches and how the student learns. By acknowledging the learning style of each student, the instructor has the ability to deliver the material in a way that allows each student, regardless of learning style, to receive maximum understanding.

4 points

I appreciated the 4 points that were stressed in regards to what you want your students to walk away with after the first meeting. Those will help me greatly in my own teaching. Many of my professors did not make it obvious that they cared about our learning and it affected how we learned within the class.

Textbooks and their authors

I think that one of the most important things about a textbook is the authors approach as mentioned in the discussion. It can really make or break the direction of the class. But how do you know which author is going to be the most effective? Is it trial and error?

Drawing the line

Where do you draw the line of being a manager and being authoritative?

The Non-Test Test.

My classes consist of teaching students Product Design and the Fundamentals of Engineering Technology and most of the students come from a wide and varied background. I never liked taking tests myself so I try to assess my students by giving them design projects that show me the level of understanding and application of the material that they have acquired from the classroom. It also gives then the opportunity to add creativity to what they are doing by personalizing the product they design. So far this has worked well for me. I try to change the projects every so often so they dont get stale for my students or myself. Andrew LeRoy