Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Comparing Instructor to Instructor

Students often compare myself to other instructors. I am a different sort of instructor who likes to challenge students with scavenger hunts, memory games, and various activities to keep it interesting. The majority like the variety and they are learning as we review. But they compare me with other Instructors who are not as different. Am I too different?

Lori

I don't think you are too different - sounds like you are right on track.

Best wishes,
Schawn Pedersen

Hi Lori,
Great question. The answer is you are only too different if you are not getting results with your students. Meaning, how are your students evaluations? How does the administration perceive your teaching? Are your students leaving your class with the knowledge and competencies that they need? If so then you are doing a good job of teaching. Don't let the students or other faculty take you out of your "game" if you are getting results. Keep up the good work.
Gary

If no one is complaining, and they are learning, you are doing great!!!!!

I believe that we are all different and each one of us are individuals. We as instructors bring with us into the classroom who we are as a professional in the field we are teaching. As instructors we can learn from each other and support each other. I think being different is great as long as the students are getting the core information they need to suceed in the field they are pursueing. ^-)

Hi Denise,
Well said. We are all unique and bring our particular personality and style to the classroom. That is fine as long as we fulfill our professional obligation of teaching our students to the best of our abilities. Variety among teachers provided students with different approaches to the different subjects.
Gary

All instructors need to challenge a student and make them believe in their critical thinking or logical reasoning skills. We need out student body to be extremely competitive and recognize that the world is flat. Most of us have all been accused of being hard while someone else has been "cool". In the long run, it helps to have a reputation of being tough - it makes your life easier since the students know before coming to class what to expect and what is expected of them. You can set the bar higher each time.

No, I don't think you're too different. I believe that education should be challenging and instructors have different styles of teaching. I also believe that students learn more when they are able to acquire knowledge from various instructors who bring a wealth of interesting teaching techniques and backgrounds to the educational setting.

I feel that having different activities going on will help keep students engaged in the learning process.
Chuck Pokorny

I think it is good to have instructors with different techniques. When students get instructors that just give them the information they get lazy and expect all instructors to do the same. The problem is they don't learn. They get to me, I chellenge them all the time. They get upset because they have to use their brains.

Is everyone in life exactly alike? Will the students have encounters with only happy people or angry people? I am different than some of the instructors I work with, but my view is that these students will have to handle each personality they meet along their career path ,as most of us who have been alive for a few years, and make decisions about how they affected their life. My job as an instructor is to give as much knowledge about the subject my student is studying and nuture them along on other life problems as much I can.

The only way we can avoid students comparing their Instructors is to have a commom ground,especially when it comes to skills lab. We try as much as possible to" sing on the same page and the same note" this way the students are not confused . creativity of n Instructor at times are a basis of comparison, but this they learn in a positive way.

I think being different is a good thing. As long was the students are learning the necessary objectives of the class its better to have different views & differnt teaching styles. Not everyone learns in the same manner & it allows all students to be comfortable in a setting that is not the norm.

I hate to hear comparisons, because I feel like I have been put in an awkward position. I want to remain professional, so I do not say anything. At the same time, it is tempting to refrain myself if the student says that I should be like the other instructor.

Hi Maria,
This is one of the most common ploys of students. Playing one instructor off on another. Each instructor is unique and so we can't be like any other instructor. We can learn from other instructors and share with other instructors but we are who we are. Focus on your strengths, and strive to improve on your weaknesses and you will be fine.
Gary

Hi Lori
I believe you are creating an excellent learning environment where the students will learn what they need to learn and enjoy the process. Keep up the good work.

Sign In to comment