Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students are our clients and primary reason why we are here as educators in various fields. Basic thing for me is Respect everyone. Nobody is above anybody and we are all growing and learning. We were students before we became educators. However, I believe also in boundaries and empathy to guide someone to achieve their goal.

Attention is Retention

This is a new dimension for me as an admissions rep but the material is goood and is presented to make us better at serving the students

In the institution we are all retention.

I agree with the Attention=Retention. It's another reason I walk the room, and it allows me to connect with students when lecturing.

At my previous company, we would perform CBWA (Coaching By Walking Around). As we toured the areas, we would stop and speak to the employees, either asking a they had a work question, or just asking how they are doing, maybe asking a personal question (What type of music do you listen to?). This helps increase the relationship and starts the dialouge. 

Reply to Frank Hill III's post:Need to trademark that....excellent response. 

I feel that the unspoken action was to first start with a team of people who have their own intelligent hearts so that they in turn can teach others around them the wisdome via the mentoring combined with the compassion and commitement to monitor.

The biggest take away is "Attention is Retention". It is a basic human need to be recognized and given attention to. Students came b=from different backgrounds and has different needs. The best time to give attention to our students is when:

1. The missed a class

2. They failed the first test

3. Observe change in demeanor

4. observe a pattern.

These are examples that we can proactively address future withdrawals and attrition because we are recahing out to stidents at the very first indictaion that they are needing help.

I learned that you have to model the behavior you would like to see in your students.  If you want your students to puch themselves, you have to push yourself.  I can't expect anything from them that I am not willing to give or do.  I also must try different techniques of motivation, find out the best way for them to recieve the information that I am giving. I am planning a new student orientation course.  It touches on learning styles, and offers tools to students to help them navigate course work, life, and their emotions. I have to contiually follow up with the students, as well, so that they are aware that someone cares if they stick around and complete the program.  *Attention=Retention*

I believe that mentoring, is avery important step that we as educators must be proactive and engage students during the process.

Irrespective of what is going on in the College, students should be validated and encouraged. 

Getting to know students is essential to their success and to yours as well.

I like the simple lesson of "attention = retention." I usually do this when I make sure to contact a student as soon as I see a first absence in a term, to check in and ask them how they are doing and inquire about the reason for the absence.

The overall idea of Model, Mentor, and Monitor really is a great way to ensure student success. I think it really speaks to the importance of building trust with the student and letting them know that we truly care about their success. I especially liked the reminder that attention=retention. I plan on experimenting a little bit myself to see how much more successful students are that receive extra attention. Fortunately, the school I work for is extremely student centered already, although there is always room for improvement in this area.

- Danielle 

Creating an inviting open door policy and checking in with students regualrly certianly effects retention. Showing up for your students, will not only set an example, but will motivate them to show up for themselves. 

Work with the students letting them know you felt the same way they do in class.

Students who receive the attention they need through mentoring, monitoring and modeling will always do better than those that don't.

having them read slides to the class then give a description of the material in there own words

In currently working with staff who have been in the industry for 20-30+ years, it has been somewhat of a transition to get them in to the thinking of leading with emotional intelligence and giving students attention. It feels like the former way of enacting the 3M's was holding students accountable because they're "supposed to be there," and "supposed to be working towards their goals." If we've learned nothing else over the years about human nature, it's that positive reinforcement breeds results. I think this module was a great overview of the best practices for all staff to use and empower our students to succeed. Students watch what we do more than anything, so if they see us staying positive amidst chaos, achieving our goals, and supporting them individually with positive remarks and healthy feedback, then they will more likely want to continue their journey. When they hear of our personal successes and see what we can do, starting in the same place as they did, it encourages them to keep learning and growing. I've found that even down to the receptionist level, it's important for them to engage students in their learning and support them by asking how they're doing or initiating that call for being absent. If the entirety of the staff are focused on the same goal and mission, then our students are more likely to stay and to succeed. 

Sign In to comment