Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Comment on Sheila Heinert's post: I agree with you, Sheila, to learn what is needed prior is helpful rather than too late. 

I learned about the UD (universal design) and I thought the closed caption (cc) was a good example. My daughter who has Asperger's prefers the CC on movies, whereas, my granddaughter (ADHD) finds it very distracting. Having had a special ed credential for awhile, it is amazing the "new" things I am listening by watching these videos.  

as a general rule if you're thinking it costs too much or doesn't make sense, you're going down a slippery slope. It's a great way to self-check and re-evaluate the request being made. I also enjoyed the part about UD. It's not something I had thought much about before this session. 

It was interesting to learn about architect Ron Mace who coined the term Universal Design (UD) and a barrier-free design to describe the concept of designing all products and the built environment to be aesthetic and usable to the greatest extent possible by everyone, regardless of their age, ability, or status in life.

As an instructor is important when providing accomondations that is an access not a success. 

Closed captioning of videoes is giving access to a whole host of people, not only those who have a disability, and so it should be incorporated as much as possible.

There are several ways to help students with disabilities, however, the student should know what accommodations are needed to help them succeed.  

Equal access or ease of access does not just apply to students but also to guests and parents on campus. 

Student accommodation needs can be met more readily with a proactive mindset versus a reactive one. It's important to have the processes and policies in place to ensure we are meeting all student's learning needs.

It was helpful to larn that accommodations are only necessary to provide access, and not success.  Often, prospective students adn their parents expect to recieve the same guarantee of success that they becase accustomed to in K-12 education.  This distinciton is critical in determining what is a reasonable accommodation.  

I will begin to understand and take notice of universal design, in order to implement my course design to give better access to as many people as possible

We focus on equal access and the opportunity to participate fully at post-secondary institutions. Accommodations can be seen as a means, but not an actual end. This does not mean accommodations enhance success for students (even though we should hope they are successful). 

It was really interesting to learn about Universal Design and how to use it with the people with disability. 

Interesting enough that an architect designed the Origins of Universal Design. In 1980, architect Ron mace patent (UD) to provide a concept toward the extent of possibilities for those that need them, making it possible for more immediate access to places and products. 

Comment on Rebecca Erlinder's post: This is informative and imperative to know! 

I found the section on comparing access to success to be very thought provoking.  I think I have often found myself trying to find a solution that will guarantee success, rather than focusing on supplying equal access.  I guess that would put me in the "over-accommodating" category. 

Accommodations should provide access not an advantage to those who need them.

Very informative .The purpose of providing accommodation is to provide equal access to those with disabilities. Very interesting to learn about the universal design ! Street curbs, door handles, wide door frames and lowered desk space.

I found the concept of Universal Design interesting, I didn't know there was a term and philosophy for the majority of architecture that we interact with. I think it is a good reminder that certain things benefit the whole population rather than just folx with disabilities and that making accommodations for folx with disabilities does not detract from an able bodied person. 

I learned that it may be easy to make a distinction between access and success in the classroom, defining those terms becomes more difficult!

Sign In to comment