Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

There is a great deal of knowledge in this module. Presently i don't have a student body that would allow me to implement any of the topics discussed in the lesson. 

I have to say I really learned a lot in this module. Disabilities are not always visible to the eye. It wasn't until recent years that two different psychs diagnosed me as having a form of ADHD and it totally made sense... the forgetfulness and the not paying attention to detail. Easily distracted, blurting before filtering... In elementary school teaching we had a saying, "Where do you find the ADHD kid?" In the emergency room. Not a pretty picture but many of our kiddos would leap first, then look. 

The PTSD diagnosis I always thought referred to only war veterans, but now I see how it can affect people that have experienced severe trauma. Lot of good information here. 

Comment on Tom Hayes's post: I agree Tom. I have a stepson that served in the military and only recently has he admitted he suffers from PTSD. 

Some disabilities are not visible or apparent yet we need to be aware and responsive.

It was interesting to cover all different kinds of disabilities, especially the ones that are not 'seen', as they are the ones that students may not be comfortable sharing with us right away, but still need support with managing. 

I truly like the quotation by Helen Keller who was once asked whether she considered blindness or deafness to be the more significant handicap. She responded, "Blindness is a barrier between people and things. Deafness is a barrier between people and people." I believe that the section on how to accommodate veterans in academia should be expanded.

all  students should be treated equally and have the right for a education  even  if they have a diability.

have learned the all categories of disabilites and how to act with them properly

PTSD should not only be limited to military students who have participated in active war duties but also to students who have experienced gun violence in their schools.

This module helped outline some of the disabilities that are becoming more prevalent.   Many students have learning disabilities that were previously thought of as the student's fault.

Comment on Mike Busjahn's post:

Thats how exactly I felt. The most prevalent learning disability, ADHD, was highlighted in this section. It is essential that educators are aware of each impairment and offer the pupils adequate accommodations.

This was a great review of the various disabilities and each disability can vary between individuals. Knowledge regarding the different disabilities and what we can do for each as an individual must be taken into consideration.

As an experiment, I tried to use the reader porvided on the website to see how it would feel to be visually impaired while participating in an online class.  Interestingly, the reader kept stopping before reaching the end of each page.  This helped me to understand how frustrating it would be to have a disability and to need to rely on techonologies to assist me in succeeding.  If I had not had the use of my eyes, I would not have known that the reader was cutting off some of the content and woudl not have known how to navigate to the next page of the course content.  I now have a new udnerstanding of the difficulties that a student with a disability would face.   

I've learned that MOST Disabilities are non-visible, like ADHD etc. Also realized that two people with similar disabilities may require quite different accommodations. Really gets you thinking.

Students can and do face a variety of disabilities, but are able to be successful with a level "playing field." With case-by-case consideration, students can be provided with proper accommodations and equal access to opportunities.

It was an eye opener to actually pay attention to the disabled

Being disabled does not only mean physical disability. People with LD, ADHD or PTSD have a disability as well and they should be treated equally as the people with physical disability. 

This module on section 504 and the rights for those who have a disability is important to know as an instructor so that we can support the student who has the disability and are able to provide legal resources to be successful. 

This section continued to provide plenty of information to think about that directly relates to my day-to-day teaching activities.  I feel confident in saying that every class of students I've ever taught has contained multiple examples of the types of students discussed in this section. 

Many returning veterans are often in need of additional services and are reluctant to classify themselves as disabled. 

Sign In to comment