Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Most people that do havve disabilities arent considering themselves with a disability but are labeled as so.  Such as a person in a wheelchair they can function just like most people they just arent as mobile or have to take another route to get there. 

it is important to distinquish functional limitation from disease stated and provide opportunit to access.

It's important to learn about the different types and levels] of disability in order to provide the appropriate accomodations. These disabilities are identified by medical professionals. Students may not be aware of their own disabilities, so faculty/staff should not be in a position to judge or label. Rather, they should be supportive by helping students verbalize their needs for assistance. 

It was very interesting to see comparisons of two students with similar disabilities, yet they handle them very differently. I liked reading about real life scenarios and possible accommodations. I'm still not sure how ASD students can be successfully incorporated into higher education if they cannot control certain disruptive behaviors. 

It is important to look at each student past their disability. 

This module taught me more about the different types of disabilites. Many people think of disabilities as those that can be seen but do not think about the othe disabilities that are not visible. I liked learning more about each one and how it can it relates to accomadations.

The fact that students present with disabilities is not new or shocking, what I found a little shoking was the statistics and frequency of many of thr more common diagnosis.  

This module was very interesting in its explanation that you cannot assume students with the same disability need the same accomodations.

This module focused on identifying the functional limitations of the disability, instead of solely focusing on the disability itself.

This was a very helpful module is that it was a good reminder to look at the STUDENT.  It was a reminder that disabilities are not always visual

I learned how to recognize and deal with studets that have learning disabilities.

This section is a great reminder that the learning disabilities, though challenging, can be accommodated if they are recognized. It has been my personal experience in education that our younger adult learners are more apt to seek assistance from disability service counsellors than are our older learners. Also, after teaching adult learners for a number of years, I have found that older learners often exhibit similar social and learning behaviors to our younger students who have had formal LD/ADHD evaluations, but those older learners (over 40) may not have ever had a formal evaluation or learning diagnosis. This creates a unique challenge for the educator. 

Excellent module. I learned a lot today about these issues. Being informed and educated about these issues is key.

I find it interesting that the most prevalent disabilities affecting college students nowadays are attention deficit hyperactivity disorders (ADHD), learning disabilities (LD), or some combination of the two. This module was insightful and helped to rectify some beliefs about disability.

I really liked how each section gave specific examples of how a student with certain disabilities may be impacted by several different things most of us just take for granted.  Also like how it highighted how students may have the same disability but be impacted very differently.  

This section is very important.  The world must be open to teaching EVERYONE.  There is a large mix of people in this world who need support and our traditional systems need to be able to handle that.  There needs to be more education for the educators on how to handle these situations for the betterment of everyone. 

This module is very insightful. As an instructor, it gave me a lot of things to think about or consider specially students with learning disability. Do not always assume that the student is a slow learner. Try to address other factors such as stress level and many others that inhibits the students' learning ability.

This section is very important because it dispels the "myths" about disabilities. Disability is not always visible or evident.

Comment on Janice Lwin's post: Comment on Cassandra Zuverink's post

I agree with your post.

A student with a disability must be given the same opportunities as one without. Certain margins must be administered and focused.

Sign In to comment