Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learnt in this module that there are many students who are with special needs or have different types of disabilities that need special accommodation and equal opportunities. Wheelchairs are a source independence & not confinement.

This section illustrated the importance of focusing on how access and function are impacted by disability and these are the aspects we should focus on while making accommodations for each student. Also is anyone else concerned that this training still uses aspergers as a diagnosis?

This was very eye opening. It showed me how others view common challenges that they face and how they deal with them.

I had a veteran student with severe PTSD, they can be challenging but can succeed.

I was very thankful for a thorough overview of both visible and invisible disabilities. I support nursing school students and I am interested in how the demands of this career field may limit the accommodations available to blind and deaf students particularly in labs and clinicals. 

Understanding the impact of disability requires a holistic perspective that considers the individual's unique experiences, strengths, and needs. Promoting inclusivity, accessibility, and equal opportunities contributes to a more equitable and supportive society for individuals with disabilities.

This post gave a good insight into the many different types of disabilities that students have, and what we might expect from them.

This section provided important information on how society often views people with mental health issues and the importance of addressing each student as an individual. 

It is very important to see the person and not the disability. 

Everyone's needs are different, and students with disabilities are no different. It is important to approach students on a case-by-case basis, rather than assuming what works for someone will work for someone else. 

Most people who are blind can't read braille. 

In my twenties, I worked with students K-12 with developmental disabilities. This was in the late 1980's and 1990's. I learned a lot about individual goal planning and adapting lesson plans to help students learn. Fast forward, now I am in my late 50's and working in higher education. I am glad I had the experience in my twenties because it gives me a larger perspective of the need for educators to know how to serve students K-12 and into high education and beyond. I am excited to put what I am learning into operation at my place of work.

Never Knew there was a term for students who have difficulty with math. ADHD is more commonly diagnosed along with ADD and autism. Whereas years ago, children who showed signs of these disabilities were just termed as children with behavioral problems. 

Understanding the wide variety of issues facing students in higher education will only improve student success. A student can have a visible or invisible diagnosis and each and every one requires individual planning. Building those relationships and letting the students know what resources are available should be something everyone on a campus is willing to do. In higher education it is the students responsibility to seek the help they need and to make sure the campus is aware of what is going on. However; many times they are unaware that those options exist or they fear the stigma that can be attached. Open conversation and basic acceptance will go a long way to help everyone. 

After reading this material I realize that I had no idea how many different kind of disabilities there are.  I think the public only recognize the disabilites they can see.   This section has taught me about so many disabilites you don't see

Identity first- language is the most important aspect of this module, while keeping in mind that even some other terms are already outdated as the approach how we speak with and speak about, and name individuals with disabilities consistently being improved.

This section shows that disabilities comes indifferent forms. We tend to think of the common disabilities and forget that there are so many others that we need to take into account.

After reading the material, it is refreshing to learn about blindness and deafness. I was aware that being blind doesn't always mean "seeing nothing." There is a vast range of blindness, and it is important to understand how much the student can see or not see. This will help create a better understanding on the needs of the student. Deafness is the same thing. There are individuals who simply need a hearing aid and there are other people who simply can't hear a sound. By understanding their disability, it can create a better understanding and offer a healthier flow of instruction. 

It's crucial for instructors to see the student as a student and not a student with a disability.   This kind of perspective prevents putting a label on the disabled student.

There can be different levels of a disability and schools must recognize that they cannot all be treated the same.

Sign In to comment