Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students with disabilities are seemed different and can be left out of "normal"  activities and interactions by their peers. Understanding that the disability does not define the individual can help others have an open mind and provide opportunities for inclusion. 

We want to make sure that opportunities are equal for all of the students. Reviewing diablitlies module has been a good reminder of possible scenarios, and the suggestions to accomodate were helpful.

As with any student, we must continue to look at the individual student in determining need. Each person with each need will be different for the student. 

This section discussed disabilities.  I hope to learn about the accommodation process to be supportive and in alignment with law and ethics.

I really enjoyed this module - it is now clear that disabilities can also be a condition that may not be seen.  As educators, it is important that we treat everyone respectfully - I find that people are more inclined to be patient and understanding with someone that has a physical disability than someone who may have an emotional or non-physical disability.  

This module helped me understand how to assess the accommodation and determine how to provide access to students with disabilities.

It is good to help those who have disabilities.

The impact of disabilities is real. 

so many types of disability....who knew?

There was a section of this course that talks about Fear and Stereotyping. Sadly, when an individual doesnt present physical characteristics as being disabled they are assumed to be a student who just doesnt put forth effort in their education. There are many different types of LD's and its important not to label your students but rather use our educational scope of knowledge to accomodate each student's needs and tools to help them be successful. 

This module taught me more about individual disabilities for students and what type of reasonable accomodations should be made. 

I learned that disabilities arent always a physical limitation but also could be a mental limitation. Care and opportunities should be given to make learning available for all regardless of disabilty status

This module made me aware of other disabilites besides just the physical.   All these non-physical disabilites can have a impact on a student's ability to learn.

I enjoyed this section of the reading, it was very thorough and eye opening for me-especially all the terms. I will be much more mindful and use the appropriate terms that the deaf and hard of hearing community prefer-this is important for me to know and knowledge to pass on.

This module explained some disabilities that we take for granted such ADHD and Asperger Syndrome. I have learned to pay more attention to my students and discuss with them as to how they can get help on campus. 

This section definitely made learning disabilities more understanding specifically for those who did not understand it much before. Anxieties and other disorders used to be looked upon differently, failing a test due to anxiety never was treated respectfully before. It makes me happy knowing it is acknowledged now.

disabled students must have equal acess to education

This section made me more aware of the number of students in a college classroom that have disabilities that are not obvious but still need to be .addressed.

I was not aware how many different dissabilities are impacting our students so its important to keep learing and training to increase awareness.  

The biggest takeaway for me with this module was that we should focus on the functional limitations of a specific student, rather than to find a one size fits all solution for every studnet with a similar disability. 

Sign In to comment