Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I found the information on parts of a rubreic, building a rubric and tools for building a rubric to be helpful.  I did not know about the rubric generators available on the internet.  I plan on checking those out the next time I need to create a rubric.

I understand the absolute need for rubrics, I usually assign points based on criteria. Unless there is some kind of absolute grading scale who judges between good and needs improvement. Everyone has room for improvement. To me those are too ambiguous especially if you are dealing with students that may be special needs.

I agree that reliability is an important factor and one to consider in rubric development.  It is good to keep these criteria in mind:  reliability, validity and fairness.

I think these are important steps when designing a rubrics.  The only question is who has the time?

1. Identify the type and purpose of the rubric. Consider the assignment/project and what you want to assess/evaluate and why.

2. Identify distinct criteria to be evaluated. Develop/reference the existing description of the course/assignment/activity and pull your criteria from your objectives/outcomes. Make sure that the distinction between the assessment criteria is clear.

3. Determine your levels of assessment. Identify your range and scoring scales. 

4. Describe each level for each of the criteria, clearly differentiating between them. For each criterion, differentiate clearly between the levels of expectation. Whether holistically or specifically, there should be no question as to where a product/performance would fall along the continuum of levels. You may find it helpful to start at the bottom (unacceptable) and top (mastery) levels and work your way “toward the middle.”

5. Involve others in the development and effective use of the rubric. Whether it is the first time you are using a particular rubric or the 100th time, learner and/or colleague engagement in the initial design or on-going development of the assessment rubric is helpful. For student involvement, it helps to increase their knowledge of expectations and make them explicitly aware of what and how they are learning and their responsibility in the learning process. 

6. Pre-test and retest your rubric: A valid and reliable rubric is generally developed over time. Each use with a new group of learners or a colleague provides an opportunity to tweak and enhance it.

There are different ways to approach the building of a rubric and about different ways to collect the data that drives the building of a rubric for a specific assessment.The rubric should always be clear and consistent and fair.

One of the last items was fairness to ESL students.  How do you make this fair?  I wish there was an example.  I know my ESL students "get" the content, but there are som many mistake that they answers are changed.

One of the qulities of a good rubric is its reliability. Do th eratings represent whatstudents can do and would raters who have similar understandingof what is being assessed give similar ratings to the same product from a student. Is the rubric fair and valid, sothat it is measuring the submitted work on a level field and does not contain biases or challenges that are unfairly distributed among the student population being assessed.

The most helpful information in this section is that the institutions may already have strong and reputable rubrics, and that many online sources have templates of all sorts that could be edited and reframed to accomplic the assessment without having to build a new one from scratch.

I will be taking advantage of those resources to save time and to get a boost on the quality from the start.

Ribrics should be fair and accommodate all my students. 

Content/coveragee informs the student what they need to be successful.

as with all things it seems, use the internet to research and adapt the knowledge you acquire.

To be fully understandable to students, rubrics must have a scale as well as descriptors so they have an idea what milestones they need to incorporate into their paper to achieve a particular score. 

in this section, I learned a rubric should be fair to all students independent of racial, cultural, gender, or other biases. A good rubric is reliable if two raters using the rubric to rate the same work assign similar scores.

I thought that the piece that shared about making sure it was fair to ESL students (or the like) was a great point.  We need to be aware of our own educational biases and expectations.  

There are actually successive steps to take when building a rubric. I will incorporate this into my course-building.

I learned the differences between a rubric and checklist, this can help me in the future.

I have found some sample rubrics to use to build my own using Excel.

Looking forward to building and testing it for reliability, validity, and fairness.

Creating rubrics is a dynamic process which likely will never end for. Using current student's work as well as colleague's input is helpful in fine-tuning your rubric.

Rubrics should be reasonable lengths. I was given, by a university, a 49 element rubric. There was no way that this was a useful tool. 

to questions if it is reliable, valid and fair.

A rubric needs to be fair for all.

Sign In to comment