Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

A rubric has to be fair for all students.

Many resources are available to develope rubrics and should be used as these already started pieces of the puzzle will help instructors save time in the process.  Web sites exist with options for rubric developement.

In this module I learned about new aspects to be consider while creating a rubric. 

Components of a rubric are essential to note, such as the content and coverage. Does the rubric cover everything necessary? It is clear. Does it make sense to the student? Are their samples for the work. Also needs to be practical and technical. Meaning it needs to be helpful to the student so they can self-assess and needs to be fair. 

In this module, I have learned that a rubric should be fair to all students independent of racial, cultural, gender, or other biases. A good rubric is reliable if two raters using the rubric to rate the same work assign similar scores; in other words, raters should be in agreement. A rubric is reliable also if the rating actually represents what students can do.

I learned the importance of the rubrics in the lessons.  The descriptors are very important to evaluate the material.

Rubric building websites....COOL!

There are resources to help us develop our rubics. 

Something I didn't consider before was that I need to ask myself if Technical Quality Fairness should allow for rubric to be fair to all students, including English as a secondary language.  It is something I will definitely reconsider when creating a rubric.

Reply to Aarti Savoor's post: Hello Aarti Savoor's. Yes building a rubric is a complex process I just learned about how Technical Quality/Fairness should allow for rubrics to be fair to all student including English as a secondary language.  Liked you stated in your post a well created rubric will allow to evaluate themself and help meet their requirements listed in the rubric.

Reply to Philip Gray's post:Hello Philip, I didn't think about looking at Rubrics online but so glad I took this section of the course to better guide me on that directions.

Collecting student examples (exemplars) to use as a) student examples and, b) anchor papers for scoring, is a simple addition to a rubic rollout that will prove to be beneficial. 

A well written rubric should calibrate grading between those evaluating the work. I will take this information and evaluate and improve the rubric I am currently using:)

Provided wonderful websites for developing rubrics with tips to make sure the rubric can be edited. 

The backward approach to designing the rubrics is helpful to me. Need to define the end state and then develope the criteria.

Develop fair, reliable, and accurate rubrics 

It is important that a rubric demonstrate fairness for all types of learners, without racial, cultural, gender, or other biases

A rubric is a scoring guide used to evaluate performance, a product, or a project.

One must be careful in creating a reliable, concise, and unbiased rubric to ensure students have the ability to grow.

larity within a rubric should help describe the dimensions of performance in sufficient detail so that two raters who understand the rubric in the same way would evaluate a particular performance or product in the same way.

Sign In to comment