Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

When developing a rubic it must be evaluated to make sure it meets the specific needs it is intended.  The internet is a good place to look for different types of rubics.

I learned a lot about practical aspects of building a new rubric. Info about online resources is especially important.

Descriptors are used to scale rubrics along with point values. 

The tips provided on how to build a rubric will be very helpful. 

In this module, I learned about tools for building effective rubrics. There are softwares like Word Processing and Spreadsheet Software which helps in designing rubric. Testing the effectiveness of rubric is a crucial step too. 

We do norming of rubrics for our institutional outcomes. 

I learned the Rubrics should not have cultural bias.

Developing rubics involves thoughtful design and resources are available.

A rubric should be fair to all students independent of racial, cultural, gender, or other biases. A good rubric is reliable if two raters using the rubric to rate the same work assign similar scores; in other words, raters should be in agreement. A rubric is reliable also if the rating actually represents what students can do.

I learned that there are several internet resources to use when creating rubrics. 

Creating a rubric can be done from online sources and should be adapted to fit your courses. It should be fair and equal for all students.

It is fine to use already developed rubrics from the internet or from your school's resources as long as those rubrics specifically match the criteria you are looking to grade. If not, you can adapt them to match. A good rubric is fair for all students and would yield similar results if used by multiple people to grade the same assignment.

I've learned that building a Rubric is a complex process that requires many levels of organization that will help students learn how to draw out main ideas from a topic they are studying and submitting an assignment on. Students can evaluate themselves and their peers to help meet the requirements listed in a Rubric.

It is essential to plan to spend time developing the rubrics and to ensure that the students understand the expectations.

There are several resources for building rubrics. Be sure to test and re-test rubrics. Provide various examples of products scored by various levels of rubrics.

A rubric is very different from a checklist. Rubrics need to include scales, descriptors and criteria. Rubrics need to be specific to an assignment.There are several available tools to assist in its development. The rubric must establish the content, be clear, be practial, and be fair event to those who English is not the primary language.

when creating a rubric you must make sure it is fair, using the correct language and focus to the outcomes

A rubric is an assessment tool that clearly indicates achievement criteria across all the components of any kind of student work, from written to oral to visual. It can be used for marking assignments, class participation, or overall grades. There are two types of rubrics: holistic and analytical.

Holistic rubrics: Holistic rubrics group several different assessment criteria and classify them together under grade headings or achievement levels. For a sample participation rubric, see the Appendix of this teaching tip. Our Responding to Writing Assignments teaching tip includes holistic rubrics specifically designed for writing assignments. See also Facione and Facione's (1994) "Holistic Critical Thinking Rubric [PDF]," useful in many disciplines.

Analytic rubrics: Analytic rubrics separate different assessment criteria and address them comprehensively. In a horizontal assessment rubric, the top axis includes values that can be expressed either numerically or by letter grade, or a scale from Exceptional to Poor (or Professional to Amateur, and so on). The side axis includes the assessment criteria for each component. Analytic rubrics can also permit different weightings for different components.

References:
1. Facione, P. & Facione, N. (1994). The holistic critical thinking rubric [PDF].Insight Assessment/California Academic Press.
2. Rhodes, T. (2009). Assessing outcomes and improving achievement: Tips and tools for using the rubrics. Washington, DC: Association of American Colleges and Universities.
3. Huba, M. E., & Freed, J.E. (2000). Using rubrics to provide feedback to students. In Learner-centered assessment on college campuses (pp. 151-200). Boston: Allyn & Bacon.
4. Lewis, R., Berghoff, P., & Pheeney, P. (1999). Focusing students: Three approaches for learning through evaluation. Innovative Higher Education, 23(3), 181-196.
5. Luft, J. A. (1999). Rubrics: Design and use in science teacher education. Journal of Science Teacher Education, 10(2), 107-121.
6. Stevens, D. & Levi, A. (2013). Introduction to rubrics: An assessment tool to save grading time, convey effective feedback, and promote student learning (2nd ed.). Virginia: Sylus.
7. Stevens, D., & Levi, A. Introduction to rubrics companion site.
8. iRubric: an online rubric design system for using, adapting, creating, and sharing rubrics.

I found several already made for my class and thats where I am going to start. I can edit them as needed to make them my own. 

There are specific terms that are part of the "rubric world" and that have a specific definition in this context. These terms are commonly utilized as part of a comprehensive assessment plan. Many of these terms have been used throughout this course.

Sign In to comment