Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I found this helpful: Some instructors may implement a method referred to as backwards planning. You, as an instructor, are a designer of student learning. Questions to consider are: What do you want your students to learn? What do you want them to able to do? How much do you want them to improve?

It is very important for online instructors to plan ahead during the development of rubrics. Planning in advance allows one to prioritize, stay organized, and stay focused on what is important in the planning process. . 

The more you can get students involved in assessing their work the more self aware they will be when assessing their work.  Often times a rubric is just thrown at students and even explained but they may not be able to meet the criteria with their present base of knowledge.  they should have the opportunity to be involved in determining how they will be assessed and engage in collaborative practices.  

Rubrics should be made or a specific assignment or else they might serve no effective purpose. The layout of a rubric is also fundamental for students' success. 

While I use rubrics to assess students' assignments, and while I also use peer reviews, self assessment is something that I've steered away from. I suppose I've worried that not all students will give themselves fair/honest grades. However, I do see how self-assessment can encourage reflection, and reflection certainly plays a part in retaining information, so perhaps I'll work in a small stakes self-reflection with every major written assignment.

I learned the difference between holistic and analytic rubrics and their connection to learning outcomes.

In this module, we learned about the different types of assessments and how they are useful when reflecting on rubics.

Rubrics can be time consuming to create

I like the thought of peer assessments through the use of rubrics. Not only does it give the student a opinion from someone going through the course with them, it also helps the student providing the assessment another tool in learning the material. The rubric also becomes a studying tool for the students. 

Although designing a course using rubrics may take longer, it will provide a much better learner centered outcome, improve continuity and consistency for instruction.  This is especially true if there is more than one instructor teaching  the same course. 

The importance of peer-to-peer assessment cannot be overlooked.  Allowing and fostering this interaction can provide constructive criticism between student, peers and instructors and can help students judge how well they learned the material. 

The section on peer-reviews and student-centered assessment was interesting. I have never incorporated it into my classes, but I did take a class where it was one part of the process. In my case, the student I was supposed to assess did not turn in their assignment on time and the teacher had to assign me someone else (who had already been reviewed) at the last minute. After I finished the superfluous review, the student turned in his paper, so I ended up doing two reviews at the last minute. It was not a good experience for me. After this unit, I think I am unfairly prejudiced against peer-reviews.

Nancy Tosh

Rubrics can be used as an assessment tool before and after assignments. Using self- and peer-assessments provide for the development of constructive criticism, witch it’s really important. 

I actually learned quite a bit about rubrics. It is importnt to make sure the rubrics are creted to provide student centered learning, provide formative feedback and used as a self reflection and or peer constructive criticism process. It should align with the learning outcomes of the assignment.

Cheryl

The advantages of rubrics, in this cadse analitical, provides specific feedback to the student and teacher.

Teach students how important is to understand the purpose of rubrics.

It is very important that the student knows each rubric in advance; Teachers should discuss criteria for criteria. A
A well done rubric helps the student to improve each project or work.

As a professor you should have in mind that everytime you work a rubric you have to had present the acomplishment of the student regarding the topic of the assement. Every objetives in the rubric have to match a possible outcome for the student.

Rubrics should be designed based on the student's success. We must think that it is a process so that we can evaluate and reinforce areas per student. And that they understand where to reinforce and how.

Be clear about the outcomes of the course and prgram department when we are preparing the rubric and be able to explain to the students what the learning objectives are. Now it is important when the feedback is offered so that the reinforcement of learning is achieved.

Community Verified icon

Sign In to comment