Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

So many people are using social media it makes sense to be able to make a class page to open discussion.  I also had the thought that it may save me more time as well for example if all my students know where to go to ask questions, I may be able to post one answer verse answering the same question 10 times individually.  I also like the idea of giving students the opportunity to engage with each other online it may open the door to better communication during clinics if they are a little more comfortable with each other a head of time.  

As I type this, I also think about all the individual calls we make reaching out to each student before class start.  I don't typically make these calls but sometimes get asked to do so because people get busy.  Students may be happier being directed to the class Facebook page where all the info is listed out and available to them at any time.

In this module, I have learned the possibility of using rubrics to evaluate student work.
In my courses, I will create my own rubric to help evaluate the different types of social media technology that are best suited to student learning in your course.

In this module I learned about activities for media and networking creation and integration to include in a course. 

An important aspect of social media that educators should look at is really what students like. For example, these days students don't necessarily use Facebook. They are on TikTok and private networks.

Incorporating BLOOM method will show u s educators the level the student is in rather him/her mastering the skill itself.

Social networking is great but has to be managed very closely to ensure safety and liablitily issues. I look forward to learning how to engage students more with the use of social media. 

Social media is a powerful tool for both students and instructors if the guidelines are clear and concise. It is important to go over these rules so that it doesn't become a social hangout.

Social Media in general has departed from the medium it once was to a politized and highly censored medium controlled by tech companies who solely wish to present a certain point of view. Thus this is not covered in the present course description and thus not entirely current with regard to the worldview being expressed and restricted in this current day.

I have encouraged students to use MS Teams to set up study groups and share information; I didn't realize that this is a form of social media

Transparency is the best policy. I was also reminded of disclosing that your opinions posted are just YOURS!

Stating that you are only disclosing your OWN VIEWS IS A MUST! The students deserve to know that your opinions should not be considered the absolute truth>

I'm not a fan of using social media/networking tools for online learning.  Seems to me to be the shiny new object that will be the focus, rather than the material for the course.

using social media as a communication tool

Social media doesn't have to be a negative thing, as long as used appropriately.

I have learned that social networks are a great opportunity for collaborative learning and interaction with the teacher.

I believe that social media is the best way to communicate. They are extremely popular among students. We should use them as educators.

As was stated, social media is an untapped tool that could be both beneficial and distracting. If utilized in an informative way, it can allow people to exchange information and iddeas in a productive way that can help us come to a better understanding with one another as well as other topics.

I feel it is important to utilize various teaching tools to help the student engage in class and better understand the material. This generation is tech savvy, so feel incorporating social media within the course will attract the student even more

I have always questioned the scholarly application of social networking. However, I can see it is a way for students to review and determine what others are thinking. It also allows students to critique and share more information with others. They can learn through these activities. However, the instructor must ensure the activities of the students on social networking sites meet the objectives of the course and can be monitored and graded appropriately.

I'm weary of social media. I stay away from it, so I do not incorporate it into my class. I DO, however, tell my students that they need to check their emails. Now, regardless of generation, students HAVE TO understand that email communication is commonly and more frequently used in a workplace setting. So, they need to get comfortable, used to, in the habit of, etc. of checking their emails and not only relying on social media for important communication for their course(s). 

Sign In to comment