Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

This definitely opens up additional opportunities to engage students in active learning in a modality that they fully understand. Up until now, I would have thought that engaging students through social media is not encouraged. The requirement to create a separate group to keep students and personal information separate makes perfect sense. 

As a teacher, it is important to include a good social networking policy, as well as, have students critique sites.  I also liked the use of Blooms Taxonomy.

I learned that social media can be used as a learning tool and also help as a communication aid with your classes.

A social media group would be a great way to answer questions for the entire class, rather then individual emails.

Although this course presents interesting concepts for incorporating social media in learning, I think there are two rather large caveats.  General social media sites are highly restricted by most universities and there are inherent problems of posting as your professional self in these forums ie. too many people have been fired for posting something on Facebook that they thought was ok, but wasn't.  I understand the concept, but I would be wary of not using university approved social media sites.

Each form of social networking is helpful i its unique way.

Students truly benefit from social networking tools and it can be such a great online teching tool. Although social networking is used as a forms of  teaching practice  it still needs to be careful monitoring , modeling of appropriate behaviors, displaying an active presence ,and setting of clear expectations. One of the most common social networking that is overlooked is the use that instructors do not require studennts to use social avenues  to create and share their own media or critique that of others.

Social Networking can be a smart tool to use to connect with students. However always be mindful what you are posting and for students, use a rubric for their posting to uphold standards. 

I understand why and where the course is going.  I'm having a hard time understanding how to apply these tools to learning beyond what our LMS can do.  I teach electrical and OSHA classes.

Social media is a great way to connect with students and use for instruction. 

Using Social networking websites can be effective in the online classroom to engage learning. 

We live in an age of technology and teach those who have grown up during that age. we must adapt our teaching tecniques to what they are confident in using. remember, we don't use chalkboards and chalk any longer. A good Teacher will adapt with a changing world.

Social Media can be a good tool for engaging and reaching students if used correctly.

I have learned that if you are planning to use social media in a class, you should know why you want to use it, how you want to use it, and how you plan to assess the student's use of it.

Hi

I learned the advantages of utilizing social media as another platform to reach students during this pandemic.

I appreciate the inclusion of Bloom's taxonomy and how it would be relevant/manifest in social networking

Social media can be a powerful teaching and learning tool if utilized properly, and if it is used to enhance the lesson (not be the lesson).

Social networking is a great way to connect with others to discuss ideas and concepts.  Unfortunately, I am a middle school teacher, so my students will only be able to network using our Schoology platform.  

I need a lot more information before I am going to attempt to use social media in the classroom, I want to make sure I am up to speed before I try this process.

I learned about connecting beyond the classroom. I also learned that the most underrepresented part of social media is to create, share, and critique others. I plan to have my students create, share and critique projects.

Sign In to comment