Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Social media, a popular form of cmmunication with youth, can be an effective learning tool. Some key factors are to guide, assess, and ensure efficient and effective implementation into the course. Set goals, guidelines and let your students be creative in their learning with boundaries.

I never thought of social media as a tool for educating. This module helped demonstrate how social media can be used.

Every time the proper use of social networks for the exchange of ideas for a group learning is more and more important. The socialnetworking is a resource that the teacher should take advantage of to get closer to their group.

Social Networking as part of an Online Course can help students connect with one another, the instructor, and the material in a way that allows them to become more than just an anonymous poster on the other side of a keyboard. 

I will make sure adding a a wiki or page to my new course.  This is a  good way to mantain the engament of the students.

Social networking allows me to post videos, articles, and other media that are relevant to the class. Broadens everyone's howizons.

Social media is simply another teaching tool as well as different strategy for engaging student conversation.  The conversation can be fun as in "social " media or an effective communication learning device.  The students will be conversing and asking questions and/or comments about the lesson or assignment without even thinking that is another assignment in itself.  I love the use of social media within an online class or even a blended class.

You must use social networking tools appropriately when teaching online or offline. Although social media has much greater uses when instructing virtually. Rubrics can be applied to social networking in order to know how much my students understand the material at-hand. One such rubric/metric for measuring student learning is Bloom's Taxonomy.

I learned that it is a good teaching method to use social networking to discuss topics amongst our peers. Instead of information being directed to you when in a lecture setting, conversation and trading ideas about a topic in a less formal setting helps to retain information.

Interesting introduction to social media and online classroom. So far, a number of questions are coming to mind and as typical in these courses, there is an initial reaction that sounds something like "ok, now another thing to do to add to course development, research, and writing, grading, student interaction, and followup, etc, etc." Beyond this reaction, I am interested in how specific courses that social media use can be used to augment the learning experiences rather than be more busywork of students and professors. 

There is so many social media options.  My institution had a combiation of a propprietary, closed systemand also FB access so that instructors and students can set up accounts.  It does provide a number of education options. It seems imperative, especially with distance learning.

Social networking can bring the class together as a whole and allow for questions to be discussed that would not normally be exucuted in class due to time. Also, the outcome of a higher learning ability would possibly be taken into consideration through more thorough discussions. 

Social networking especially in today's society is crucial. It has become a tool that you have no choice but to use it, because everyone around you is using it. Back then it was all about staying after class if you have any questions, then we evolved to emails to have communication and answer within an apporpriate time frame. But we have reached a new level, which can either be having all your students sharing a facebook page for example to share lessons, communicate, etc. Or simply creating a whatsapp chat room where everyone can communicate and everyone know and share questions, photos, videos and concerns with online instructor.

If students are already immersed in social media for personal purposes, then it may follow

that using social media in an academic setting would assist the instructor in content delivery. However, I am still

skeptical that social media helps students think critically, or value the purpose of contemplative thinking. What's the last book they've read? 

Knowledge acquisition is important. Good. But what about the role of reflective thinking?

When I first entered graduate school in the 1990s, one professor told us to get access to the Internet or be left behind as an academic. At the time, there were various chats and bulletin boards for various topics of academia. I'm not sure how many of these still exist. Social media is something different and potentially far more hazardous for students. As a sociologist, I can see several research topics that could involve students studying social media sites. 

Nancy Tosh

You Tube is an awesome soure. I learned the website for rubrics for Social Medica and I will be researching it for ideas. 

We use Discord to encourage our students.

I had never heard about Piazza as a tool and will look into it for possible use. 

The only Social Media I use is LinkedIn. I could give facebook a try but I'm afraid what happened last time will happen again. As soon as I created a MySpace account and started reaching out to people, MySpace disappeard. If I create a FaceBook Account, the Mark Zuckerberg will sell off the company and dismantle it. I'll just stick to LinkedIn. 

I will think about that one...  :)

Sign In to comment