Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Students often rely on groups found on social media. These groups can be quite helpful forums for information. 

I have learned that social media can improve the online teaching platform. It is often difficult for students to connect with teachers (especially with large age gaps), social media seems to connect the divide

I like the idea of integrating YouTube videos into my course--I even had the idea of asking students to create their own YouTube videos (or TikTok videos) about course content and then posting links to their videos into a discussion or comments on a class announcement. It might be interesting to give an assignment in which students are asked to locate a Twitter post on a particular topic and make a comment on it, then screenshot it and post it into a class discussion. There are just so many possibilities--it all depends on the course content and the type of social media you want to use.

All types of social networking are legitimate as long as students are employing the right strategies. 

i recognize that social media can be extremely useful in a classroom setting if it applies.

It is interesting to learn of specific social media platforms such as Piazza created for learners. I have used Facebook at previous institutions as a way to have group discussions on class topics. However, we moved from social media to using the LMS tools and got more positive feedback from adult learners when not using an entertainment-based social media platform. Having a separate platform for learners that is distinct from others used for personal use may help facilitate a comfort with professional social media platforms as well as help ensure it is being used in the appropriate context.

Ask students (through a blog) to discuss the different Twitter people/accounts they follow regularly. They would need to share one of these with the class and discuss their reasoning for following this person/account. To further this assignment, instructors can ask students to find a Twitter account that is related to a particular class or academic area. Students can also present the watched account and specific details to the class through a wiki or blog.

One major takeaway from this module is the idea of using a rubric for assessing the content posted to social media.  Not only is this a good idea in the education setting, but in a personal setting as well.  I think we all could use a "cheat sheet" in assisting us with our social media posts.  Good habits established in class can transfer to good habits in personal use.  Thank you for the link to academia.edu and the Social Media Rubrics article.

Comment on Becca Humphrey's post: I also learned social networking tools can augment online collaboration and learning in order to develop a community with the learners. :) 

So far in this course I am enjoying the guideline for using online resources in ways that are legal and helpful in order to enhance the learning experience for classes. 

Social media can be an effective tool in teaching and connecting with students.

CTC

Social media opens up a whole realm of possible learning and creative avenues

l learn it is important to engage students if using social networking by having them create content and ensure we are using rubrics to assess their learning.

From the module on "Effective Use of Social Media in Online Courses," I garnered several key takeaways, namely, that social media platforms offer diverse channels of communication and resources that can complement traditional learning management systems. Tools like Twitter can provide microlearning experiences, while platforms like Pinterest can serve as repositories for visual aids and infographics.
Social media can be an informal feedback channel. Periodic polls on platforms like Instagram or Twitter can gauge student understanding and solicit feedback on course content.

Social networking such as blogging can be an effective assignment tool. It can be useful in group projects, journaling or as a research assignment posted for others to view.

This was an excellent review.

Social networking offers several benefits for online courses, enhancing the learning experience in various ways:

Community Building: It fosters a sense of community among students, who might otherwise feel isolated in an online learning environment. Through social networks, students can connect, share ideas, and support each other, which can lead to a more engaging and enjoyable learning experience.
Enhanced Communication: Social networking tools provide efficient and instant communication channels. Students can easily contact peers and instructors, participate in discussions, and receive feedback, making the learning process more dynamic and interactive.
Resource Sharing: These platforms are ideal for sharing educational resources like articles, videos, and tutorials. This can enrich the learning material provided in the course and expose students to a wider range of information and perspectives.
Collaboration Opportunities: Group projects and collaborative tasks are simplified with social networking. Students can work together remotely, share documents, and manage tasks more effectively, which is essential for developing teamwork skills.
Access to Expertise: Social networks often give students access to a broader community of experts and professionals in their field of study. This can lead to mentorship opportunities, industry insights, and a deeper understanding of real-world applications of their studies.
Feedback and Peer Review: They allow for immediate and varied feedback. Students can share their work with peers for review, and participate in peer-to-peer learning, which can be very effective in understanding and retaining information.
Flexibility and Accessibility: Social networking sites are accessible from various devices and locations, offering students the flexibility to engage with course material and their peers at times that suit their schedules.
Increased Engagement: These platforms often feature interactive and multimedia content, which can make learning more engaging compared to traditional text-based online forums or emails.
Personalized Learning: Students can use social networks to find study groups or discussions tailored to their specific interests and learning needs, allowing for a more personalized learning experience.
Professional Networking: For many students, these networks can also serve as a platform for professional networking, which can be beneficial for their career growth and opportunities post-graduation.
While social networking in online courses offers these advantages, it's also important to manage and balance its use to ensure it remains a productive and positive aspect of the learning experience.

I never thought about creating a facebook page for a specific class for students! I can definitely agree, it could help engage students!

Comment on Michelle Moore's post: Hi Michelle - I didn't realize how common it is for students to have created boards like you mention until I asked them directly about their group chats for the class. The amusing thing is they create chats for things that I posted in the LMS - meaning it wasn't necessary to have the group chat. However, the built in presumption (I guess) from previous instructors is the instructor would not share vital information, so they had to figure it out on their own. 

Social networking can add exposure to some material and facilitate greater dialogue for a fuller understanding.

Sign In to comment