Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubrics are important to make assessing student progress effective and easier.  As with the previous modules, communication remains an important factor in online learning.

I must make sure my online course is well constructed with the students facilitating their learning instead of talking the whole time. Also must be aware of being clear in my instruction. This can be relieved with a rubric. I should outline the expectations of my breakout discussions. 

I use rubrics in my online classes. They are effective ways to quickly provide students with feedback about their participation in discussion forums. However, it is also necessary to provide feedback regarding why a maximum score in an evaluated area was not obtained. Simply clicking on the point values in each category does not provide formative assessment for the student.

The importance of clear guidelines for participation in the class and communication and collabporation as the key.

It is very important to promote communication between the students and create a community of  learners.

In this module, I have learned how to use rubrics to assess communication and all assignments or projects. I will apply in my online courses to provide rubrics to my students before any project, assignment, discussion that will be evaluated in the course.

I found the rubrics a very essential and important tool in the learning experience.

The most important policies for participation include a code of conduct and collaboration.

Communication, the use of rubrics adn collaboration are the key in the online classroom

Learning about rubric expectations was helpful for development in the future. 

I have learned how important having specific guidelines are and how beneficial rubrics can be to help assist with evaluatiions of the student's work.

Rubrics should be provided for discussion posts as they give students very clear expectations for how they can earn their points and most effectively engage in the discussion. 

Assessment via a rubric is a consistent way to set expectations for one and all. A Code of Communication does need to be established, communicated and followed by one and all, instructor and students.

A rubric is a form of communication that can clearly communicate understanding and expectations. 

Rubrics are an important tool for me to be consistent with grading for online discussion. It really help with student knowing what is expected from them and they seem to follow the Rubric for Discussion.

Educators can communicate effectively by establishing strong rubrics. Rubrics are great tools that are used to assess students. 

In this module I learned the importance of discussion boards and an instructor's responsibility by providing timely feedback in online teaching.  The discussion board serves as a platform to build community and have the students participate in the content of the course and meet the course objectives.  It is important to have a Rubrics to grade this assignment and to have consistency and transparency.

I see areas I can implement from this section immediately around discussion forums and communications rubrics.

Reply to Nicole Golden's post:Replying to student's comments with personal comments like addressing the student by name, and requiring them to address each other by name helps create community. It is also recommend to being each class with a "warm up" session with small talk and time to address any questions of a general interest.

It is important to be consistent, promote class discussions and student learning from each other.

Sign In to comment