Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Rubrics are concise easy to understand ways of communicating expectations of student communication.  Don't make them too heavy or they could stifle communication.   They work with ranges of points 01 for low, say 2-3 for medicum, 4-5 for high in each area.  The rubrics should be published early.   A community of learners can ask each other questions that relate to their backgrounds only when they are feeling comfortable, and that is often the sign of a community.    Communication and collaboration are hand in hand and the two levels to consider in communication.

I learned that collaboration and communication are important components of a rubric.  

I learned the importance of using a rubic to assess students which helps to provide consistentsy and transparency throughout the course.

Rubrics are a great way to show an instructors expectations and give student immediate feedback

In this module, the concept of creating an online community was discussed repeatibly. As a student using online courses, I have never felt the neccessity of participating in an online community where we share personal information. I am not thinking that it is a wrong concept, just that I have never experienced the need. It was suggested that students should provide a introduction that should include: 

• Their name
  • Their current job and/or company
  • A brief history of work experience
  • A brief list of interesting experiences
  • What they would like to learn in this course

Another suggestion was to create a separate area for socialization. Again, interesting concept, just one I have not experienced (as a student) in my online courses.

having good and open communication, along with a rubric system, is a way to help a instructor succeed online

Effective online facilitation = engage, guide, and motivate learners, and provide a safe and conducive environment for learning.

Communicating a value statement through a syllabus or code of conduct.

I loved the thought,  moving from a Face 2 Face teacher to an online teacher you are moving from the "Sage on the Stage" to the "Guide on the Side."  Effective online teacher faciliate learning by setting up a Code of Conduct and clear communication guidelines.  The guidelines need to include clear rubrics on communication to be provided before activities.

I am curious.  I am a habitual user of rubrics.  I actually teach a mini lesson about rubrics:  how to read them, decipher them, reword them and then how to let the rubric guide the students' time managment, etc.  I use rubrics found online but edit them to suit my audience and purpose.  I guess you could say, my classes, especially English classes are rubric oriented.  I always give a rubric with the assignments and regularly refer students back to that rubric. Does anyone else depend so heavily on their rubrics?  Is there an easier way to keep students focused, on task and in control of their own learning?

Developing that sense of community is fostered through collaboration and communication and that can be hard depending on the varying generations in  an online course setting? Just remember the art of communication is just that an art form.

I like the idea of using a rubric to assess the students' communication within the course. Different types of assigned posts can help students to feel a sense of community within the online classroom.

The importance of Rubrics. I never use them so this will be a big change for me. 

Discussion boards need to be somewhat personalized.  Enhance participation with comfortable rules.  Building a community is important by making the situation feel safe for the students and motivating students.  It is important to use rubrics so the students know exactly how they are being assessed. 

Feedback and communication will be essential for and organized online classroom.

It is necessary to develop online participation policies to help engage student in online learning . I will help my online students develp sense of community through such things as personalzing postings, giving clear instructions on the expectations and creating warm and inviting atmosphere.  

Collaborative work amongst the student group leads to inherent reflection on the learning process.  The learning experience can should lead to relationships between the technology, the students and the learning process.

Rubrics are just so valuable, particularly in this setting in order to assess the quality of the communication among teachers and students.

I've learned of the importance of having a rubric for all gradeable aspects to the class, and that http://rubistar.4teachers.org/index.php is an online tool where one can easily generate their own rubrics!

Participation of all students is crucial. The rubrics give the student the feedback they need. It is a reward for a job well done or a kick in the but for those falling behind.

In this module, I learned that student participation is essential to establishing a sense of belonging in the online class.  Clear guidelines must be established at the onset of the course with examples provided.  Discussions must be monitored by the instructor, but can also engage help from other students to facilitate discussions.

I also learned that the ultimate goals of online learning is to facilitate learning while building community, which is shown when students not only build academic community, but when they feel comfortable enough to share on a personal level.  Lastly, I learned the value of using rubrics to access learning and communicate expectations.

This module encourages me to look squarely at how I communicate with students and make changes.  It also encourages me to incorporate the use of rubrics more often.

Sign In to comment