Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Communicating with students about how they are doing with class assignments, encouraging them to do things on their own to help them develop their tactile skills with massage is very important. ive been utilizing these concepts but must check in on them to make sure thay are working towards skill development. Breaking the sounds of Silence and keeping conversation going , checking up on how they are doing is very important and communicating with emails or phone calls.

Love this course material. very much needed for because im a Boomer and im not really computer savy. Growing in this area is important.

One thing i used to teach was time management and feel i should do this again. with all my classes.

Maintaining learner engagement is dependent up successful communication. Proper technology must be accompanied by policies and procedures to establish a viable learning environment. Appropriate communication can assist with achieving positive learning outcomes. Take away from this module is to understand the learner’s generation identity.

I learned how gernerational communication styles vary among students and that as an instructor, we must be aware of the differences to effectively communicate with our students.  In addition, we need to ensure that all students are participating in class especially when learning remotely or online.  If a student is not participating, it is imperative as an instructor to try and engage the student and inform them that participation in class is required.  

As instructor i  have a big job in assisting students to become successful online learners. The first step is to Assess the learners and to  make surestudents know what it takes to be successful online.  I really like the  following suggestions that will aid the students to be successful in an online course. ALl of these qualities are essential for the vocation they are preparing,

• Encourage them to have Open mind.
  • Assess abd ebsyre proper verbal and written Communication  
  • Boost their Self-motivation by giving them a strength they may possess.
  • Teach them prioritizing so they have Self-discipline
  • Teach the importance of Time management now and in the workplace
  • Assess Computer competency
  • Build Critical thinking
  • Monitor the behavior toward each other and encourage Teamwork 

I have gained knowledge on the generalational differeneces, strengths and areas of concerns.  How to use different techniques to provide a supportive online educational  palteform.  

So much is determined by expectations. Without clarification of expectations, communication may never elevate above a reflective text message however if expectations are clear, robust, and professional communication among students will thrive. Establishing expectations has to be the first order of business so that all students get off-and-running- from the first days of class.

I did think the topic about proper balance between private email and public discussion forums also serves as a challenge to instructors since we obtain want to set clear expectations but not bombard our students with content, deadlines, details given they may possible receive much other infromation from other courses. As suggested, setting guidelines to how instructors communicate with students (via announcements, discussion boards, emails) and how students communicate with instructors and other students (DB, email, groups, etc.) can alleviate the communication stream. 

Different routes of communication should be offered and used based on the students needs. 

It's important, as an online teacher, to "Understanding each other's views and values will allow different generations to increase their appreciation of one another. This, in turn, will lead to better communication and collaboration because people are now talking from a sense of appreciation and acknowledgement."

I learned that age could be defined as a range of how technology is being used by the students. This will matter in using a different approach when communicating with the students.

I learned that different age groups have different strengths and weaknesses that may impact their performance in an online environment. 

Learn to communicate effectively across the generational gaps reach out to those who aren't understanding exactly what you as the instructor are trying to get across to them and find the bridge to knowledge

I learned that the varied communication styles of the students must be integrated into the course to help with both the success of the students and the course itself

It is important to recognize generational differences in communication and to adapt your communication techniques to appropriately meet each studentes needs.

I learned that students must be made aware of the skills required to be successful in an online course. The instructor must also model the desired behavior.

I have learned that differentiated communication is important in order to understand the different groups within an online course and the qualities of each one are essential in order to create the competencies that are needed to progress in an online course; such as discipline, time management, teamwork and writing critically are qualities that the instructor must motivate the students and that the instructor must achieve in a motivational way for greater student efficiency.

CTC

Trying to match everyday life, like the job and family is tough. There have been times that I would have preferred going to a class at the scheduled time. 

It truly is a time management process.

It is important to commuinicate as much as possible in an online class so all students are on the sam page, getting the right information, and clearning up questions/concerns. Maintain positive feedback, use clear language and keep it simple. Make sure you are avaiable to answer questions. 

Instructors need to be good role models for communication. Instructors also should establish guidelines for the communication process online, and these guidelines must be patterned according to the different generations of students that we deal with. Instructors should establish communication guidelines in the course syllabus. If there are questions from students, prompt feedback should be given by the instructor.

Communication is critical in an online platform. The student body consists of various age groups and the instructor must understand the differences of the generational gaps and communicate effectively according to the individual's generation.

Sign In to comment