Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In this module I've learned that as an online instructor there is a lot of information that may come through, and you must establish ways to mange this information.  Whether it's by setting up filters withing your email or creating a FAQ discussion board nyour LMS, both are ways to handling the possible large volume of information you may receive.

I also learned that as an online instructor you may be the go to person for students when they encounter challenges with technology.  As such, it's important that you have a way to manage technology issues for not only students but for yourself.  Identifying a mentor who could provide help in answering questions is one way to address this issue.

I plan to set up filters in my email to sort student email and create both a FAQ and FAQT discussion boards to address student questions/concerns, instead of students sending an email.

Managing your course and the amount of work for you as the teacher and your students is paramount.

Without proper organization and time management, the online learning process will not achieve the desired end result.

Online teaching can not be effective for teacher or student if time management and proper organizational skills are not enforced. 

With proper time management, the instructor can ensure he/she is providing the student with detailed feedback for improvement.

A workload manager must be well organizated, focusing on utilizing the following workload strategies: utilizing emails, etc., using various teaching techniques, facilitating learning, evaluating quality assessments, and providing an ethical foundation.

The course begins with a great instructor who has a clear plan and goal for themselves and students and adequate resources and assistance. Being able to stay focused allows for a great deal of quality work in a limited amount of time.  Being organized and having set priorities and a definite agenda  to follow to facilitate a course makes for a positive and pleasant efficient instrutional experience.

Using good Workload Management Strategies will keep my teaching more organized and objective related.  It can also ease the workload.

I find the organizational process allows the online instructor to practce task, stick to the task, not get distracted and finally fully complete the task. This is vital for the instrutor so he/she will not get inundated witht personal affairs and professioanl work.

Instructor and technology support are key components of an effective online environment. 

Teachers need to find what teching tool fits thier teaching styles and to ensure it is functional. They need to understand that online instruction are not at easy as it might seem and they might have some bumps in the road. It will take some time to adjust but with the proper training it will be accomplished. 

In this course I learned that organization, communication, management of workload, quaility of information and time  are important for students  being successful in an online environment.

Management of information is very important in online teaching.

Instructor and technology support are key components of an effective online environment.

I am currently doing school online with my high schoolers, It amazes me the lack of technical knowledge they have. I am a Gen Xer and for the most part, I just figure it out on my own. I am pretty savvy but I am also not an expert so I am constantly trying to communicate different components of online learning. I am definitely surprised at my level of tech support that I provide.

The first thing an online teacher needs to come to the realization that they are no longer just a teacher but a facilitator of knowledge. Without some sort of time/work management skills it would make a online course very difficult to manage. 

Workload management is dependent upon time management. Know your deadlines.

WLMS involve application of the 7 principles of good practice and instructors need to acquire project management skills inorder to determine the WLMS that they need for online teaching. I am going to try and improve on my time management skills. 

I've learned a lot of solid practical "nuts and bolts" strategies and techniques. These are things you don't learn in college, and I'm grateful for the opportunity. The "three lists of three" is a good one for me. I also learned good foundational principles, questions, and components necessary to consider before designing the Learning Environment.

I appreciated the following especially:

1. be proactive. Share time management process with your students, not only because it will help them, but because the investment will come back to you; for example, preventing procrastination, or making it less likely, so that their "emergency" doesn't become one that puts a kink in your instructional plan.

2. knowing what all instructors should be able to do efficiently, and if not, get PD

3. how to maximize email filters, automated messages, and use discussion boards and FATQ's

4. the elements of the information management system over which the instructor must have control, especially about the difference between necessary or "good" redundancy and the excess which can take time and overload S and I alike.

Very valuable unit! Thank you

I liked the suggestion of asking online instructors who have already taught a similar class for ideas/guidance so as not to waste time with trial/error situations that could be avoided entirely.  I also liked the idea of the automatic responses emails to help cut down on typing out the same message over and over, such as to let students know you have received their assignment.  I will use these suggestions to help manage my time if I teach an online course in the future.    

Workload in online teaching and how to manage so you do not get overloaded

Sign In to comment