Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Paying attention to online chat between students will be important to help prevent negativity of sourse content or instruction.

Provide a clear- concise dynamic syllabus as opposed to a flat online syllabus. Scaffolding is important- setting up a solid foundation to then build on and expand their knowledge base throughout the semester

This comment was made: detailed instructions in the syllabus are the key to good online communication

I disagree I believe in the module the following are importatn

• Provide clear instructions
  • Clarify purpose
  • Keep students on task
  • Offer assessment to clarify purpose
  • Direct students to worthy sources
  • Reduce uncertainty and disappointment
  • Deliver efficiency
  • Create momentum

A syllabus is a dynamic document that can change depending on how the students are responding to the content.

Being aware of varied knowledge and backgrounds and experiences of the students will help knowing their learning levels.Having good communication with students will help keep them on track by monitoring their learning abilities.    

I've learned that it's crucial to develope a well constructed syllabus according to the modern needs, specially based on new technology but at the same time that has the basic of effectively provide all information so the students won't have unmotivational feelings.

Effective communication is important for the student's success during their program.

Building upon previous experience/learning is what its about.  I always try to get to know something about my students both before and during a class.  Not everyone has the same background, so sometimes I can help them more if I know what they already know-or don't know.  My goal is to help them add to what they already have, to build upon it, and encourage them to move ahead with-hopefully-a little more confidence.

learned how to use sacaffing to use a studend pior knowlegle

It is imperative that online students make use of all of the appropriate resources available.

I had not considered using a resource like a Wiki before. I really think this could encourage involvement and interest in the course it is applied to.

It is best to help students build on their own prior experiences so they can relate content to previous understanding

It's important for an online instructor to create a class syllabus.  The syllabus provides students with an outline summary of the course topics. A syllabus typically provides specific information about your course, the textbook or books you'll be using, what's expected of the students, class assignments, due dates, grading system, projects, rules for extensions, etc. Your syllabus should be available to students electronically and the syllabus will become dynamic across time, as materials are added or removed, edited or rearranged and see the important components separately.

The instructor also needs to use effective communications, it's important for the success of each student. As your course begins, you should pay attention to how each student communicate with you and other students and how much they are participating in discussions. There are multiple channels of communication; instructor to student (I2S), student to instructor (S2I), student to student (S2S), instructor to group (I2G), group to instructor (G2I), and group to group (G2G).  The S2S (student to student), S2I (student to instructor), and I2S (instructor to student) channels include the aspect of students working in groups.

Approaching the online syllabus as a living document, changing with the needs of the students, will create a more dynamic and interactive experience for them. 

I like the Dynamic Syllabus as it provides me to help studentsnavigate through the course

I was introduced to the terminolgy of scaffolding. Something I try to build in my course by encouraging students to post bios and replying to them with information about myself. I also provide many routes of I2S contact for students to use whichever is more comfortable. 

Maintaining an LBO database saves time becuse the course developer can quickly find, sort, locate, and upload content to use in multiple courses

In this module more clarification on the concept of "scaffolding" was insightful.Poor scaffolding can create poor learning.

Having taught Online courses for several years I have found in each year of teaching one critically important item is a well developed syllabus for the course.

Students must have a dynamic syllabus that lays out all the course objectives to increase student outcomes and add requirements for the student to ask questions on a discussion blog instead of directly emailing the teacher. The students will benefit from the question, and the teacher won't be inundated by continuous emails from students with the same questions.  

Sign In to comment