Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

On line classes, just like face to face, have individual dynamics that need to be assessed and catered to in order to have a successful community.  Instructors must be willing to be active or take a back seat and facilitate depending upon the group.  Scaffolding is so important to assure students are able to take the most from the class.

Scaffoldingis important to build upon the students knowlege and skills

A detailed, interactive syllabus is essential to an effective online course. The students will be able to access it time and time again as it is  subject to change as students make suggestions.

This module was about establishing an online learning community, and the neccessary tools needed to make it accessible. I learned that community collaboration is essential.  You need to make the students feel secure in sharing their ideas and opinions with one another. You can do by providing several different types of communication streams. This is vital to properly building activities and reaching expected outcomes.

The method of communication is important and should ultimately progress learning.  It is also important to clearly explain communication methods in the syllabus to avoid delaying progress and learning.  The syllabus should be dynamic  and interactive.  As I review my on-line platform for my class, I will increase my awareness of implementing each of these points in my development.

Setting clear procedures for contacting the instructor for various needs can help streamline request and response. 

Scaffolding with online learners is necessary just like in a face to face classroom.  Also giving students different assignments that connect Student to Student and Group to Group are just as important as connecting to the instructor.

Communication seems to be the key to this module.  Beginning with a dynamic syllabus that can be modified and change as the cirection of the class can dictate  Communication can be managed effectively by the instructor utilizing both and technology and the students themselves. Finally, the scaffolding continues to be growing by building new knowledge and skills on prior knowledge and skills and experiences'

Some of the hardest things that I have encountered in my classes is the opening up of communication with some students. They slam shut like a clam and it's like finding hens teeth to get them to open up. You tell them the importance of asking questions or saying that they need extra help, yet they still don't open up. Anything to help on that end is a very welcome bit of information.

I learned the importance of creating and using a dynamic syllabus. I found it interesting how the evolving online syllabus is critical for success. This is very different from my past use of "flat" syllabus.

Dynamic Syllabus is very important atthe start of the course so tht the students have all information about the course. Scaffolding is also important and used b the students to build on the knowledge they are learning. 

I have learned to scaffold during the building of course modules.  Also to vary the type of discussion to the learners.

I found scaffolding very important in the lesson. I had never considered that poor scaffolding could hinder future learning. I also found communication communities important to student learning and teacher support.

Detailed syllabus, effective communication techniques, varied types of student interaction and using scaffolding to keep momentum and learning moving forward. 

Seth Soronnadi

The key to good online communication is detailed instructions estabished/created in the syllabus Using effective communication is important for the success of the student, Just as in construction, a poorly built learning scaffolds can hinder the future learning ability of the student Good communication can identify when students are on the wrong path or deviating from the online learning environment.

The instructor must develop a dynamic syllubus that is updated through the course and excessable to the students. 

I learned what wikis are and about some of the other web based tools that are available in online teaching.  This is an area where I have limited experience and will need to plan to become much more familiar and proficient with these tools for future use.

The syllabus needs to be more dynamic than a traditional one used in the classroom setting.  Scaffolding is very important in the classroom and online as students build upon prior knowledge..  I like the comment that students should learn from technology, not take from.

The concept of scaffolding gives structure to all aspects of the online learning experience though in itself it is not the final goal.  It is a means to accomplish the learning outcomes for the students.

It is impertive that your online syllabus is engaging and allows the student learner to naviagate with ease, Scaffolding allows students to move progressively throughout the course with confidence. 

Submitted by: Marilyn Renfroe

Sign In to comment