Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that communication is the key component of an online course and good learning in any environment.  I also learned that utilizing technlogy to help communicate what students need to know and assess how well they know the material through several different communication channels.

I have learned that the more modules I partipate in that I learn more from reading and the audio.  Therefore, I need to find a way to incoporate audio lessons.  Do anyone know of a free program that has an automatic program that will read to students?

The scaffolding of 8 tasks lead to effective communication between all groups.

Scaffolding is important to make sure all students are engaged and on the right path for learning to be successful.

"Many online instructors create FAQ discussion areas to provide students with an oportunity to post their questions and have other students answer their questions.  Some instructors give credit to the student who answered the question properly."  I love this idea.  At times in the classroom, sometimes a student explaining to another student can get our message across more effectively.  I love this idea and wil emplement this if an online class is needed.  

Scaffolding is the result of a number of different tools, used by the instructor as well as the student. As with most components of online courses, communication plays a key role, on the part of both instructor and student.

The syllabus and its impact on the online course is very importyant. A good syllabus will manage all needs of the student, it is the framework providing consistiency in class.

A good online syllabus is dynamic and interactive. It allows participants to click on resources directly, such as email or websites.

I have learned that the lesson was important in learning different online tools in order to develop communication and online knowledge sharing to develop online learning communities.

Students who use scaffolding techniques successfully are more involved and less frustrated.

Different types of engagement and delivery can be used in different ways to reinforce learning objectives, support student success, and architect a foundation for learning continuity.

Scaffolding is an important component in building upon previous learning.

It's critical to set the students up for success you must follow a strict set of guidelines and be organized for them.

Good communication is the key to online learning.  As teachers, we much participate in dicussions. Give credit to the students when the discussions are going in the right direction.  If I find a student is not participating in the discussions, I may have to give the students an alias so they feel free to communicate. Encouraging collaboration with other students is also a great way to communicate with online classes. Scaffolding is also important in making sure it is student lead.

Communication is key. Instructions must be written in a way that clarifies exactly what the expectations are. The syllabus cannot be a static entity but instead dynamic changing with the needs of the students. Communication with all groups is important and should be assesed regularly.

Overall, I though this was a very well done module. Using a dynamic syllabus is certainly a good way to do things in an online class environemnt. However, this modules makes a point about obtaining student feedback that I have issues with: "An instructor may periodiclly obtain student feedback by asking three simple questions: 1) What should we stop doing? 2) What should we start doing? 3) What should we continue doing in this course? These questions give students the opportunity to provide feedback..."

I'm a big fan of student input and feedback and in some circumstances (like testing a new course module or introducting a new program of some type), some of these types of questions would timely / appropriate and the student feedback should be carefully examined. However, in my opinion, the online professor / teacher / instructor (particularly for an online course) should be a qualified subject matter expert on what they are teaching. We're paying them a salary to make good decisions on what needs to be taught and what does not need to be taught / what does not belong in the program or module. As stated so elloquently in this module: "...it is the role of the instructor to keep the students on the right path regarding what they are learning and how they connect the learning pieces". Trying to make a course or a program too student centric by asking the students what we should stop / start / continue doing in a prrogram or module loses it's value because the students are here to learn from us - the professor / instructor / teacher and that professional should be on top of their game, making sure the course content and what is going on in the classroom (or online) is highly valuable and a productive / good use of everyone's time.

I did like the section titled Scaffolding Student Learning. This section has the best, clearest definition of scaffolding I have ever read. I have read these overblown definitions and papers about scaffolding written by so called "leaders" in the education who are nothing more than overpaid consultants trying to justify their high dollar consulting fees. Here, student scaffolding is laid out clearly, precisely and in an easy to read, easy to understand, clear format. Well done!

Scaffolding is important to build on prior knowledge. STudents learn best when they have a base to grow from and are given help along the way in the form of scaffolding. I will work to scaffold content for students as they are learning. 

I learned today the importance of scaffolding student learning.

I will definitely take away the 'Scaffolding Learning" style away from this module.

I found the eight tasks of scaffolding in the online learning environment interesting. Some are easily crossed-over from in-person classroom instruction but others are more challenging to recreate in Google Classroom. As I plan the last few lessons of emergency e-learning for my students, I will be more mindful of these tasks: reduce uncertainty and disappointment and create momentum.

Sign In to comment