Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I learned that regardless of whether the class is synchronous or asynchronous, the content needs to be organized, constant, and accessible.

When delivering content to students, teachers should be consistent from the start.  This is similar to how content should ideally be given during in-class courses.  Online courses allow asynchronous learning, so care should be taken to consider whether to deliver it in an asynchronous or synchronous manner.

The key is organizing your content and material to have a framework to facilitate learning.

I helped me see the difference between synchronous and asynchronous learning. I am now aware of what to consider for either of these two environments. This is helping me understand the planning and developing process. I feel like I am learning so much. 

Synchronus and asynchronus learning both have their advantages and disadvantages.  I beleive it is important for each teacher to decide what will work best for his/her students but I have also found that a combination of both has worked best for me.  Students and their families need to feel supported by the instructor and many times with asynchronus learning that can be difficult.  When working with younger students it is very difficult to get them all online at the same time but they enjoy seeing their teacher and interacting with each other.  Which ever method one decides to use it is important that the expectations are clearly communicated.

Weather using synchronis or asynchronis teaching methods, it is important to establish a centralized location for the students and the instructor where all the class info is available.  Presenting a consistent teaching model is also very important.  Doing resarch ahead of time to descide on the ratio of synchronis to asynchronis teaching systems is vital for cratting a successful online teaching environment.

It is important to choose between asynchronous and synchronous learning and then utilize tools to make sure content can be given effectively. Decide which type of learning is more conducive to the success of the students. If students will struggle to learn on their own, synchronous learning and more guidance is more appropriate. If asynchronous learning is chosen, the instructor must be extremely organized and create an easy to navigate learning environment.

With Asynchronus and synchronous learning, one is not better than the other, they both have advanages and disadvantages. It takes course evaluation to determine the best tool for content delivery. Asynchronous learning provides a more flexible program in which it is self paced, but assignments still must have a deadline because the downside to this is procastination in some students staying on top of the work in a timely manner. Synchronous provides real time interaction between students and instructors, but with this it is important that all students have access to high speed internet, and setting a time where everyone can meet with consideration of other commitments such as work and family life.

Communication is key and to have a desnigated rea for the students to access all of the classrom information.

I have had to incorporate both methods of teaching due to Covid-19.  What I have learned is online education is not for every student. 

Whether you are teachiing in a sychronous or asycronous situation, organization, teacher delivery, and commuication all play key roles in the students success.  A blended setting may work well in most cases, but the student ability to Be There at That time must be taken into consideration.

Understanding what technical tools to use when and what for is necessary when teaching online successfully. 

Whether using synchronous, asynchonous, or a mix of both methods, guidelines must be organized and clearly communicated to the students. Without clear communication, students will become confused and disengaged and the learning process will be hindered or possibly halted.

I have learned that an instructor needs to be organized inorder to effectively construct a learning environment and delivery method that best meets the needs of the students whether the course meets synchronously or asynchronously.  I have taken courses both synchronously and asynchronously. I benefited more from the synchronous course because I had to work my schedule around the time the course was being held which lessened procrastination on my part.  Having an instructor that is very organized assures that all of the necessary tools and guidelines are in place will benefit students using either method.

I will contine to establish a consistent pattern of teaching. 

Components in an effective pattern of teaching include:

• learning outcomes
  • communication
  • centralized location
  • content delivery
  • assignment submission, and
  • questions and answers

Clear communication must be given for both asynchronous and synchronous learning.

As Korinne Toadvie stated, I think both synchronous and asynchronous teaching will be required. particularly as I teach high school.  My kids will need to be able to see me, even if only on a video screen.  Even the most "self-sufficient" I think will need that, and I am pondering how to do "mini-interviews" individually.  Many of my kids will not ask for help until they are floundering, the weekly "check-ins" with me might help avoid that. 

The amount of organizational work I will have to do to be able to start off as recoomended asynchronously is overwhelming.  In a traditional, synchronous learning setting, I only present a unit at a time, then often reteach if needed after assessment-- my pacing is somewhat fluid and is almost constantly adjusted.   I am jotting down questions for my admin as regards whether all content needs to be ready and available to students from the beginning and if they will self-pace or if I will "unlock" modules after the successful completion (clearly spelled out) of one.

Communication and being clear about expectations is a key part of online learning and instruction. 

A thought both methods are effective, I've learned that a mixture of the two at times keep the students more engaged.

It is extreamly important that the student communicate with the instructor and the student should have a way, in either environment, to ask questions and/or make comments.

Sign In to comment