Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Student success can be creatived with e-learning when the course is set-up easy and all of the links work that are provided.  A course managment system can be frustrating for the student if the content and modules are unorganized. Once the information and or material is set-up, the designs should be easy to follow.

Structuring the content and flow of the curriculum, engaging students and monitoring is a very important key for the student success.  Having a well thought out flow of curriculum, even though some teach differently, we know the content we are teaching but we need to monitor our students progress, set definite time lines and goals for students and make sure all the information is clear and concise at the beginning of the class. 

Know in deep the characteristics of a Quality online course:

• Structural integrity.
  • Navigational simplicity.
  • Intellectual interaction.
  • Active learner-centered learning.

And apply them properly and in a simple manner in order to have a better involvement and interest from the students.

Structure is key! I have taught online previously and am so glad now that I have that experience. What I have found, in operating from a CMS, is that keeping things consistent and structured is key in helping the students complete their assignments. I set up my course weekly with dates and due day, date, and time in the description of the assingment, so they know exactly what is expected as far as completion goes. You have to remove all ambiguity. They must know exactly what you expect. Spell it out very clearly and they will respond well. Feedback is also extremely important. A simple "You're doing a great job" message means a lot to a student when they can't hear you say it. Personally, I make it a point to grade assignments quickly in order for the student to always know their course status.  I wish you all success in the online platform. It is challenging because it requires engagement! engagement! engagement!, but it gets easier as you go. Good luck and stay safe! 

This course so fas has provided me with a detail expectation of wat an online course would look like and what to expect from it as well as what to do. 

i have learned how to access the online teaching stragies and give my students what is needed to be success online.

I am going to have to learn more about the CMS to be succesful at online teaching. I have been teaching for many years but am just diving into online instruction

Each instructor uses a different approach to reach a common goal.  must be aware of all components of LMS.

I think it's a useful reminder to go back to the basics and to make sure that students know how to use the online platform.

I will ask questions to meet the nees of my students

It is important to learn how your management system works and plan how our course will be presented in that system before you begin building your course. You should include, what type of assessments will you include, how will you and your students communicate, how will students communicate with each other.

Clear concise information that is eaasily located is crucial to the student.  

Clear instructions on how to get help when needed is also crucial as well as having someone available and making it known when they are available.

Knowledge and comfort with using CMS is key for instructors. Utilizing all features to enhance active learning and adapting content as needed to keep all engaged.

I have learned that technological service is just as important as the instructional service.

I like the online learning concept however my fear is that some students may not take this opportunity seriously.  I have worked in credit recovery for 2 years and have seen the difference between those who took it seriously and those who just wanted to get by with the bare minimum.  Unfortunately, this is also happenign in the classroom enviornment.  I want to still be able to inspire my kids online as much as I do in the classroom.

In order for online learning to be most effective, there must be organization. Instructional units are organized into modules which contain lessons.  Online learners must be able to comfortably navigate through the modules and lessons with confidence; otherwise, it should not be surprising that they may not complete the class. Online instructors must be available to the online students and technical assistance must also be available. In order for best learning to take place, lessons and activities must engage students.

General concepts of elearning

I plan to go through my CMS now and complete the checklist of things I should know how to access. Also, take a look at the content we have already started to develop and see if it has the quality characteristics outlined. 

Great list to go over when building an online course using a CMS.

Just as in regular instruction structure and active participation is key. Students must see and feel the instructor's precense and feedback

Sign In to comment