Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

It takes 6 exposures to information/concepts to have 90% retention.  Reinforces the importance of teaching content using multiple methods.

I will intend to keep my lecture time 10 -15 mins and then transition to an activity to increase student retention

It's very important to create a team environment with everyone helping each other.  Peer communication and having the students teach on a topic can help with others who are not understanding.

Medical terminology is something I do everyday when I teaching. Knowing the average population learns 80% better by visualizing the terminolgy makes sense. Alot of times the students have no idea what I am talking about. Breaking the friends up makes total sense to learn. It cuts down on the talking and they get to know other people in the class. We have 10 weeks this quarter and one girl did not know another girls name until the other night. This is week 9 of our class!  I think that's pretty sad.

From this module I learned that students learn best in an active learning environment, and also, that it takes exposure to material 6 times, before a student can retain it ~90%

It was interesting to learn that exposure to content (at least 6 times) will increase retention. I can implement by communicating with my students more often throughout the week: sending them videos, funny information, pictures, or graphics that help them be consistently exposed to the material.

I will lecture for 10 minutes and then do an activity.  I will also expose my learners to material 6 times within 30 days to help with retention of the material. Also paying attention to my learners body language as I am teaching to see if this is engaging my students. 

The memory/emotion connection is very important. Information is better retained when there is a positive (or negative) feeling to go along with it.

It is crucial for the instructor to be aware of the class' mental state, and whether or not the students are engaged with the material. Also the instructory must adjust/make changes in real time with how they present the material to ensure that the students are learning the material.

I have use differerent activities in my lecture.  Raising number cards when asking questions, group activities with a spokes personand and  using IV tuving and  IV bag to assist with understanding of IV math calculation.

I found that it was very interesting that 80% of learners are visual.

This module drives home the importance of finding methods and teachniques to keep students engaged.

The reenforcement of material (6 times) creates 90% retention versus 10% with only 1 exposure. I also find it fascinating that the memory center is linked to emotion. This was a very informative unit. 

Fatigue signs and their respective names.  Peer language and its effectiveness in learning.

Even though there is a lot or memorization involved in learning Medical Terminology, it can still be fun when using engaging activities.  

Having students ask each other questions about what they have learned is a great way to create understanding and allow students to reconnect with new material.

In achieving optimal learning, it is important to keep students engaged rather than have them feel as if they are enduring the lecture

Adult brain can only engaged in the first 20 minutes.

We should provide very active learning environment and let everybody participate

What I have learned from this module is how to incorporate an interactive learning environment ,by keeping students from all learning styles engaged.

Sign In to comment