Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Crisis Management | Origin: ED401

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Crisis Management

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

In this course, I learned a few new strategies to help deal with a crisis within and outside the classroom.  My favorite is "staying calm is contagious".  I never thought of this as a strategy, but it makes sense.  I plan on practicing some of the techniques that were provided, and believe it will help me manage my class and students better.

Fortunately this training deals with not only the students and their issues, but also the crises that this instructor feels at times.  Everyone has a unique set of issues.  I will work on being more empathetic.  I think that is the most important issue dealt with here.  

Great information on time management and test creating strategies.

Most often I'd stay away from people who exude negativity in the workplace, but now that I'm more educated about recognizing and personally handling going through a crisis, I'll be a lot more sensitive to any of the markers.

As taken from the previous class, ED400, someone who has burned out may eventually find themselves in a crisis.

I've found this when students cannot learn a new skill right away.  As he or she sees her peers progressing, this may add pressure to the student and hinder further development.  Usually I'll suggest taking a break and work on other things.  If it involves a different skill set, this may give an effective break or even put the student ahead of the class and give more of a sense of control for learning the previous skill.

After calming down. I find if you gain a new perspective on the event or problem, a crisis may, at best, be avoided.

As for indicators of people going through crisis, this allows me to be proactive in helping the workforce.

I have leaned how crisis can affect someone and tips on how to handle the situation.  As an introvert, helping others is a bit more challenging unless I'm confronted with the issue head on.  At least I can reflect on issues within myself and deal with them methodically.

I have learned some of the physical symptoms to look out for in my students and people around me

I appreciated the tips about how to help others during a crisis.  I think most people feel unequipped to help others experiencing a crisis, so it was nice to learn that just remaining calm, letting the person know that you desire to support them, and providing a listening ear, can make a difference in diffusing the situation.  

The critical incident stress debriefing (CISD) is something that I am very interested in doing additional research on and learning how it might be incorporated into what I do as an Educator. I think it could be useful to help students who have seen/been involved in a fight at school and be used alongside other Restorative practices (such as mediation) to help students when they return to school. 

I think the tips for what to do if a person is in crisis is important for all eductors to become familiar. We never know when a crisis might happen and being prepared how to respond is very important. However, knowing when to seek is help if the situation is over our head is most critical. 

I have learned that whether  I am experiencing a crises or another person,  the person involved has to first accept the fact that he/she needs help. If Im the person in crisis, only then will I realize that help is available. I just have to take it and be not resistive to it.

I now know what a Crisis Triage Center is and that we have one in our community. I can not reach out to the CTC if I am the one in a crisis or if it is someone else in a crisis I can refer them to the CTC.

I feel that OC can do better with housing for our unhoused folks. 

I really liked the aspect of remaining calm while listening to others in response to a crisis/trauma. It's definitely true! All the advice was very realistic and reasonable, and I liked that they broke up the reactions into physical, cognitive, emotional, and behavioral. It helps cover the gamut of reactions one may see or even experience after a crisis, and it's helpful to be able to recognize them in yourself and others.

Reply to John Monsam's post:

John, I agree about the value of considring the instrutor's experience and reminding us to frt go with our gut 

I also agree about the increased insight in breaking down reactions into physical, cognitive, emotional, and behavioral and payng attenton to those.

Staying calm and active listening. I don't have to have the answers for a person in crisis, but I can support them by being present and by listening. Calling upon experts to support the person further is the next step in my response to the crisis. 

How to deal effectively with crisis management. 

A Crisis is a very individual and unique event.  

I learned that if a person is in crisis: It is important to listen to them and support them, be empathetic 

Sign In to comment