Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Principles of Student Empowerment | Origin: ED144

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Student Empowerment for Learning Success --> Principles of Student Empowerment

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

I use practice board exam questions with multiple answer choices and have the class work in groups of 3. Each team captain defends their answer choice if different from another groups.  

I get new students every 3 weeks.  Day one establishes the entire 3 week session.  An initial meet and greet works great for establishing info about the student that will enhance their overall course experience.

Always get the students involve in decision- making and instructors need to listen to students in order to increase involvement or engagement while building the foundation for empowerment

This module offered a lot of learning strategies for building on student empowerment-- factors such as: sharing the learning vision, courtesy, respect, rapport, feedback, and technology-- are all important and increases student's empowerment... 

Students need to have input, they enjoy ineracting with other classmates. We as instructors always need to listen and respect our students and treat them as individuals

One area I'd like to incorporate is more student involvement in the process. While we have few degrees of freedom in curriculum design, there are areas that might work better with student directed activities such as testing or assignment development.

One of the simplest ways to empower students is by encouraging leadership behaviors. Provide ample opportunity for students to take charge, whether that’s through group activities or explaining a concept they’ve grasped to the rest of the class.

Effecivie listening gives the students a sense that there thought are values and give the instructor knowledge of what the students needs.

No matter how experienced an educator is, it is always good to look at the instructional process and see where changes can be made that will increase the learning factor for students.

Courtesy Respect Rapport Technology must be practiced and applied for student learning success.

Even if when students are not doing well they need to be shown that they are valued as human beings and that their instructor is there to help them to be successful. Positive body language and facial expression can go a long way in showing support to students especially when they need some encouragement. 

I like the idea of presenting students with a short-term and long-term vision for their library orientation. Short-term are things I want students to understand by the time the hour long instruction is over. These would be lower on Bloom's taxonomy. For example, what type of information do databases contain? How do you log into the library? Which library guide do you need to visit to learn more about VitalSource electronic textbooks? How can you contact an ECPI University librarian? 

A long-term vision would be goals I have for after they have applied and practiced what they learned from the library instruction. For example, students will find ___ peer-reviewed sources for their end of term paper/project? Students will know how to reference a journal article and a book. Students will apply the limits explained in an assignment guideline to the search limits in order to retrieve relevant results. 

I would also be interested in these from students. What do they hope to get now out of today's session (short-term vision)? What do they hope to obtain later after applying  what they have learned in today's session (long-term vision)? 

This will help students see the applicability of the library instruction and it will prime their thinking to be within the framework of information literacy. They will start thinking of research as a process, rather than simply a means to an end (gathering a book/article in order to write a paper). By bringing to light the nuances of research, students will learn it is a complex process. They may feel more empowered to keep trying with a search, rather than feel like there is "nothing" on their topic, if they understand searching as an interative process that needs continual assessment and refinement. 

I learned that learning groups is a great way to expand learning in the classroom as well as in the clinical setting so students are engaged and encouraged. I will use this method. 

It is important to encourage student empowerment so they become more engaged in the learning process. 

Meaningful student involvement assits the students to believe that they are valued members of the class which increases their self-confidence and encourages motivation.

I enjoy asking questions to the students to get them actively involved.  Receiving their input, makes them feel more empowered during the conversation.

Group learning can be invaluable as students get to experience many points of view rather than just their own. This promotes greater interaction.

It is important to build rapport as part of the learning process.

Listening and gaining students trust will enhance learning 

Sign In to comment