Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Understanding the student's needs and addressing them in the class. 

I learned that the classroom is consists of individuals of various backgrounds and teaching must be coordinated to meet the learning needs of everyone. If not, then it is difficult to retain students. So, in order for the institution to carry out its mission, we must help students to achieve their education goals.

I learned to be well prepared for the classroom by going early to look at the room set up like from the student's point of view. To make sure all of the supplemental materials were organized. Really to be prepared to teach the class! My students like to meet early to have time to visit and just talk about what is going on in their lives a few minutes prior to the class start. This helps me get better acquainted with my students and can figure out ways that they will learn easier from our discussions.

It is important to remember that the students have more going on in their lives that what is within the walls of the classroom.  Helping with those soft skills and acknowledging the extrinsic needs of the students will go a long way with developing their intrinsic needs.

Be sure to acknowledge that students have more going on in their lives that what happens inside of the classroom.

Being willing to understand where the student in coming from and how they see things is key to knowing how to approach them.  Your able to gain more insight on how to grab their attention while guiding them at the same time.... instead of pushing them away.

From this section, I learned that all students have unique needs. As an instructor, one must aspire to meet those needs so that every student can realize their academic goals. When instructing adult learners, it is important to remember that they all bring varying amounts of professional and life experience into the classroom. Where appropriate, a good instructor can leverage that expertise to add depth and breadth to the conversations, enriching the classroom experience for everyone.

Cheers,

Chance

Helping students develop career appropriate behaviors is essential. Educational planning and encouragement are very important to aid in the students success. 

I have learned how to support my students.

Knowing the student and the level of learning combined with life experience will help to teach the student on their learning level.

Undertsanding the demographic of the student will the instructors build strategies on what ways students can learn and better undestnding reactions and individual challenges each student face.

I have learned the importance of connecting the students' own experiences and life goals to the course. 

The most important takeaway from this module is how to uniquely cater to students of different age groups. For example, it is important to allow older adult students to incorporate their pesonal life experiences in the learning process.

I am understanding the importance of taking some time understand my students needs and background.  Being aware of their intrinsic and extrinsic needs.  They may be different, but are the same.  Each one having desires and fears based on past, present and "suspect" future experiences.

Retention is part of teaching

Learning your students motivation to learn, helps shape your teaching style and meet the student's needs

How important it is to understend the individual needs and motivation of the students. To be aware of their of their previous learning experiences and taylor the class to include all of this information. 

Students have intrinsic and extrinsic student needs.  As instructors is it important that we understand both of these things.

Allow students to use their life experience in the classroom

I have learned how to get to know each student and meet them on their level. I intend to get to know my students during the course and through the professionalism assignments and better help them improve their involvement in the classroom

Sign In to comment