Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Active learning is beneficial to our students and the one thing I can do to help my students be successful is to be prepared myself. 

Keeping students engaged "actively" enhances learning.

Organization, organization and organization with a healthy dose of preparation.  I also took away a great many suggestions for how to actually implement active learning and promote critical thinking in my courses/teaching

Instructors of active learning settings must think out some creative and active assignments for the students to learn from. The student's must be actively thinking through the activity and not just copying things down. There should be critical and analytical thinking going on. Lecture is easier for the instructor to prepare but it doesn't teach as much to the students that are passively receiving the information or not even paying attention. 

It is important to utilize different methods of teaching in order to make sure students are maintaining their attention.

Active Learning is preferred by adult learners because as adults we prefer to see how the knowledge will fit into our careers and we are used to being personally involved in the process of information transfer.

My goal is to incorporate active learning in the classroom rather than just pure lecture. 

Comment on Georgiana Bougher's post:

I have been using active learning including nursing case studies and group activities. This is an area that I want to further develop. I have found active learning to be very beneficial for the students and enjoyable for the instructor. 

Learning activities can really engage student thinking. 

I appreciate the 6 steps in planning an active learning strategy; in reflection, I realized I've missed a step, which can detract from the activity's effectiveness. 

Active learning is much better than passive learning for most students.

Active learning involved critical thinking and analytical skills.

I enjoyed learning more about active learning and ways to engage students in the learning process through hands-on activities, discussions, problem-solving, and other interactive experiences. Active learning moves away from passive listening and encourages students to participate and take ownership of their learning actively.

Both analytical and critical thinking methods are important for active learning in students. 

From this module, I have learned the importance of incorporating some form of active learning into each class session.

Interaction always mentally stimulating, thought provoking and makes learning a more pleasurable experience. 

It's always best to make a class more interactive including group discussions, group activities, and include case studies which will enhance critical and analytical thinking.

Active learning can be achieved from other sources such as the internet, library, reference materials, and other students. Successful active learning requires planning ahead and organized. 

As an instructor, I plan to create learning activities that stimulate active learning and participation during lecture and class discussions.

Active learning is ideal for students who are learning new concepts because it encourages and stimulates critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

Sign In to comment