Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Competency-Based Education | Origin: ED206

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching in the Lab and Shop Environment --> Competency-Based Education

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

It is important to use the three area of blooms taxonomy into competency based education to ensure that students are develop as a whole. 

It is highly important when instructing a lab to relate theory to practice using real world applications that apply to students career, motivate students by promoting an efficient active learning experience. Also, it is significant to allow students hands on experience so that they are able to apply the concepts in lab and how it can be used in real world applications.

I totally believe in this teaching style.  Trust can be gained in the form of the student's success. Having their trust is monumental to the success of their education. Using this style Instructions must be clearly defined and the objective known. Using Bloom's taxonomy  as a resource is successful the Competency Based education. Safety is paramount and communication is key to the success competency-based teaching. It must be delivered constantly and consistantly.  The students will get frustrated. their confidence at an all-time low. Doubt has showed its ugly face. The instructor must calm the frustration, rebuild the confidence allow the student to believe in themselves and the process understanding the value while developing motor skills. This style of teaching can become very emotional. More so It is very rewarding. Repetition repetition repetition

I find that when teaching laboratory sections of the class it is critical to be able to relate it to what the student is going to be doing in their work.  Students today (at least students I have seen over the last couple of years) are more interested in the end result than the process.  This attitude presents a unique challenge when dealing with education because some students fail to grasp the importance of learning the methodology of learning.  Through labs it is possible to make the student understand the journey...performing the core concepts taught in theory in order to acheive the results they want in the lab.  I've seen more than one "light bulb moment" during labs when the student all of a sudden understands the theory because they were able to perform an experiement hands on and see the results.

It is always important to make the curriculum and teaching relevant to a student's life and experiences. The student needs to know their education relates directly to their career path.

I learned that the Cognitive domain is the biggest part of competency-based learning but affect and psychomotor do matter.

Objectives are to board in competency-based learning

Applying it will be implemented by focusing on the skills.

Reply to Omar Muneeb's post:  checking off a student skill is very effective for learning because both psychomotor and cognitive are working hand and hand. It also increases student affective status after they have mastered the skill.

Bloom's Taxonomy is essential. 

Being new to this teaching environment, I had not considered how objectives are often unclear even though tasks are being mastered. I also see that Bloom's taxonomy is a great rule-of-thumb here.

I learned that while traditional most students have exposure to the cognitive learning process the lab sections especially should also take into consideration the affective and psychomotor learning methods.  A student is working for an end goal of being able to function in their future workplace.  However, without clear objectives, they may not understand why they are learning certain steps that will help them function in the future.  I am going to review my labs and attach clear objectives. 

Competency based learning is meant to bridge the gap between mind and body.  This will allow for a more comprehensive understanding of material and how to carry it out in the workplace.  This is very applicable to nursing.

On my job Competency based  education is utilized and it seems to keep employee educated on several of the domains mentioned such as Knowledge, Understanding, Application, Analysis, Synthesis, etc.

Bloom's Taxonomy is useful and us needed.

Ann Nelson

Utilizing Bloom's taxonomy in teaching helps to develop the total student.  Functioning in the real world does not just depend on cognitive knowledge.  Nursing student's must be prepared to know and understand theoretical knowledge in order to use it effective in client care.  They also need to develop important motor skills and utilize tools and technology to be effective practitioners.  Finally, in the affective domain nursing students need to embrace and adhere to nursing values, regulations, and desire to continually develop and refine their abilities.  Acceptance of all people regardless of others viewpoints, politics, or choices is also essential.

Bloom's really comes together in a lab setting. This is a rare oppportunity, in education, to incorporate all three domains into cohesive learning. 

I have found that "academic" or core classes finally make sense to many students when they have application that is relevant to them. Subsequently, I see them perform better across the board. Being able to manipulate an object in a way that illustrates a concept really drives hoe the point. Add a sense of accomplishment and other affective aspects and you have a recipe for success, even in many "non-academic" students.

In my opinion, it is essential to use all three domains of Bloom's taxonomy when designing lab projects.  I would ensure that the learning objectives are presented and understood before starting a project and that the grading rubric is explained.  This let's the student understand what is expected and that the grading will be objective.

Utilizing Blooms tamonomy when developing clinical assignments.

Every student is different just as every teacher is different.  We all learn and grow at a different pace.  It is best to learn each stuent and how they interact with the information given, coaching along the way.  Also using a variey of terms to help them see the informatioin in a different light that maybe they didn't see before.  

All domains need to be applied and results will vary as every student is diferent.

Sign In to comment