Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Comment on Dixania Soto Batista's post: Love this Ms. Dixi!!

I learned that an introductory activity is a great way of starting the class and setting the tone

The power of positivity, energy and enthusiasm.  Students do need to feel a connection to what they are being required to learn, and especially how it will benefit them in their future pursuits.  I do try to relate materials to personal career experiences I have had in order for them to see that the information I am trying to impart is relative.  I am flexible with deadlines.  However, I do make sure to only extend the deadline for a few days/one week.  Otherwise, students seem to get too far behind.  

My biggest takeaway from this lesson was the importance of the first five to ten minutes. This is the moment we have to set the tone for our students. We can grab their attention and interest them in what we are learning. The course noted that well-planned introductory activities save time and allow teachers to provide extra coverage of essential concepts. Students come more prepared and ready to learn more quickly. The lesson also noted the importance of closing activities. Making sure the content is memorable and functional. This will help students apply what they have learned and should ignite excitement.

Have activities planned to keep students excited and willing to learn about their course.  Have the students engage in the course.

Planning more opening activities to help my students engage at the beginning of class, and using more guilded discussions during the class are two that I'm going to focus on, but so many good ideas to think about to help improve my instruction and my students learning.

I learned to have a positive attitude and keep the students engaged with discussions.

Its great if i can put what i have learn in practical application i believe i will be good instructor if i will succeed to do so ,i will try my best to achieve that  Goal .

engaging the students not just lecturing to them. Using techniques to engage their learning at the beginning of class and also at the end of the class time.  I like the idea of having review questions ready and asking the class instead of waiting for them to ask, that way you know that  they understood what was being taught

From the “Planning Impactful Lessons” module, I have learned several key strategies for creating engaging and effective lessons. One important concept is the idea of backward design, where you start by identifying the desired learning outcomes and then plan the lesson activities and assessments to achieve those outcomes. This approach helps ensure that all aspects of the lesson are aligned with the learning goals.

I also learned about the importance of incorporating various teaching strategies to accommodate different learning styles and preferences. This can include using visual aids, hands-on activities, group work, and technology tools to enhance learning and engagement.

Another key takeaway is the importance of assessing student understanding throughout the lesson, rather than just at the end. This can be done through formative assessments, such as quizzes, discussions, or observations, to gauge student progress and adjust the lesson as needed.

Overall, I intend to apply these concepts by carefully planning my lessons with clear learning objectives, incorporating a variety of teaching strategies, and regularly assessing student understanding to ensure that my lessons are engaging and effective.

I have learned to use the List of five to get the class engaged and started into the days topics. 

setting the tone and plan at the beginning of the class.

EMPHATIZE WITH YOUR STUDENTS' SHOW THEM THAT YOU CARE

Comment on CYNTHIA ALMACEN's post: I believe when I do empathize with my students, they truly know that I care. 
I allow them to know that I want them to give me effort, I don’t expect perfection from them but I do expect them to try and know that I’m there to help pull them through any challenges they may face.

Walking in each morning with a positive attitude. Opening up my class with an activity that really involves them to make them more engaging. Making sure I have ennough material for class so that if they have completed an assignment I have enough material to keep the actively engage.  Having empathy for my students to show that I care about them and that I understand that they have things going on outside of the class as well. Making sure I have clear and concise objectives that my students can understand as we go through them. giving them an inspirational close to class to make them excited about coming back to class the next day. 

What I took away from this portion on the module is to be engaged with the students and ensure that the lesson I am teaching relates to the students future careers.

I have not put much focus on the ending of my lectures, and this opened my eyes to the importance. 

Most of the students will stay in class as long as they feel the activities are valuable. Some teachers engage students in graded activities near the end of the class meeting to reward students who are still engaged.

Sign In to comment